Monday, December 15, 2008

I succumbed

So, it's official. I bought bribes for my kids to be good while we were running umpteen million errands- and it was pouring rain. I actually took 2 bottles of Tic Tacs off the wall, ripped them open and shoved them into my kids hands. Ada kept busy trying to get her fingers into the dispenser. I realized too late that the invariable Tic Tac left on the floor in our wake could make someone slip and break a hip, but I honestly couldn't worry too much about it. When the girls were out of the cart waiting FOREVER for our prescription to be filled, they picked up any that fell on the floor and ate them before I could stop them, so at least they took care of that area. The cashier did not blink when I handed her an empty Tic Tac container (I was sure they would start throwing up Tic Tacs, they ate so many) and told her to ring up 2 of them. I am sure she gets that kind of thing a lot at Target. At the previous store, I had actually shown my children the Jelly Bellies that I was GOING to buy them had they come to the check out stand when I told them to. Then I told the cashier to put them back as my children started wailing- I think she was horrified by my meaness. So I promised them a treat at the next store if they would just stay with me! Like herding rabbits, those two.
One thing I have been wanting to blog about. I read an article in my Parents magazine recently about how parents can stay well while taking care of their sick children. Most of the tips were decent- wash your hands, blah blah blah. Then I read this suggestion that you could make a sign or gesture for "hug" so that you can sign at your kid and not touch them too much! Are you kidding me? When my kids are sick, the first thing they want is not a drink or bed or their blanket- it's MOMMY, and there is no way I am going to tuck them in on the couch and pop in the room once in a while and sign hug at them. You think they are going to feel better if I blow them a kiss and say "feel better honey, mommy doesn't want to get sick!" I wanted to know what the rest of my mommy (and non-mommy) friends think of this suggestion? I know working moms have to worry about this more probably since they can't always call in sick.
Here is a cute picture of Ada (with pigtails!) waiting in line for Santa at the Christmas party this weekend (ok, so it's really a picture of Hyrum with Santa, but Ada is so cute waiting there). When we came out of the church, it was snowing- so pretty! We had the wonderful choir program at Church on Sunday and a cookies and caroling party at Hillary and Krishna's. Next post- probably post Christmas! Have a happy one- one and all.

6 comments:

Cara said...

I totally agree about the advice on not hugging sick kids. I think love is the main ingredient in the potion of helping kids get better. I've heard that instead of just washing hands it's best to use that nasty smelling sanitizer that kills 99% of all germs, but I don't know. So far my son hasn't been sick and I've been sick for a week so who knows how that's happened.

Kim Dewey said...

We are in the middle of Raine's first cold right now and there is NO WAY to avoid being completely covered by her germs. Just the other day I was burping her and took a sneeze point-blank in the face. With all the coughing, sneezing, and nose dripping we've had around here lately I often find myself thinking, "no wonder kids spread disease so fast." Raine is a veritable germ sprinkler. I assume your article was intended for moms with sick kids older than three months, but I can't image doing that to a child of any age.

Laura Jean said...

I'm a softie! I have to give hugs and kisses, especially when Braxton is sick! He usually is more snuggly when he isn't feeling well, and there is NO way I will give up extra snuggling!

Paula said...

Yeah, I can't believe someone would recommend not hugging a sick child - that's probably the thing they need the most!! I have only been a parent for 11 days and I can't imagine not comforting her with a hug if she was under the weather. By the way, my mom says a big hello and she thinks your kids are beautiful!

Danica Osborn said...

first of all, been there, done that. how else does one run errands!?

as for signing "i love you" in place of some tlc while the kiddos are sick. what a joke. in fact, i've been sick and the doctor recommended i not "smooch on my daughter" for a couple days. well, she's sick now, so you can tell how well i resisted. oops. i guess the same goes for us moms too, and when we're feeling yucky we need us a good hug too.

Corey said...

Yeah, gotta love that photo of Hyrum waiting in line to see Santa at the Christmas party. That was like his second time up there making sure Santa knew exactly what he wanted. Don't worry boy, I just finished wrapping the Tinkerbell movie. That's crazy about signing HUG when your kids are sick. It totally wouldn't fly in our house either. Sometimes I think the people who write those articles don't even have kids. Whatever!