Thursday, April 21, 2011

A bit about Odie-totie

Allow me to brag about Odie for a minute:

Odessa and Ada LOVE to tell jokes. And most of them don't make sense and most aren't very funny. But when they copy a real joke correctly, it's pretty cute. They always end their made-up jokes with the "punch line" and a "GET IT??" and laugh hysterically. Frankly, I have had to say a couple of times- "No, I don't get it!"
So the other day I made this Markaresh Stew stuff for dinner- amazingly Odessa really like it and even had it for leftovers the next day. She says stuff like "I want to eat this for every meal forever!" pretty much every other night- I know, I am super lucky- but meaning to say I do not always take her real seriously. Wait until you see the recipe- it's from my Everyday Food challenge. Anyway, she comes up to me and says "that dinner you made was STUPENDOUS!" and then says "get it?" and starts laughing. And I give an absent minded "ha ha" and Odessa says "that's all I get for a joke like that?" which really catches my attention.
Me: "tell it to me again"
Odessa: "dinner last night was STUPENDOUS- get it? STEW-PENDOUS!"
and I then I could not stop laughing . . . I couldn't believe she made it up herself

Yesterday, Odessa FINALLY got the whole swinging of her body down at the monkey rings at the park and I was SO PROUD- I got a little weepy (hormonal, I know). I was just watching from a distance, she kept trying and trying and then she got to watch another girl, and then she GOT IT. She finally got it! She made it almost to the end of the line of rings- 8 out of 9. Ok, one reason I was so super proud is that she has wanted to do this for like 2 years- you know, you have to lift them up and they can just hang from one ring? And this time I had to sit down quite a ways away to watch Ada and so she didn't know I was watching her try again and again. And third- I don't think I ever could actually swing from ring to ring when I was a kid. I was one of the WORST kids at the chin-up test and the hanging time test they made us do in PE every year. No upper body strength whatsoever. Oh well. I really could not get over how excited I was! Seriously, crying. So silly.

In my next post I hope to put in the Markaresh Stew recipe, pics of the tulip fields and last week's activities. I make these forecasts so I will make myself post again soon!

4 comments:

Steve and Nancy said...

Next time we call, we'll ask Odessa to tell us a joke. And, congratulations to Odessa for getting across the rings! You should be proud. Nancy

Lisette said...

I love the stew joke, my nieces do they very same thing and think they are the funniest people on the planet. Kids are the best because they always think so highly of themselves.

Kristin said...

Great stories! I feel your monkey bar warmed heart.

Alyssa said...

Oh I wish you guys were closer - your girls would be such good company (and examples) for Abbey! Love these stories - their stupendous!