Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Phrases you never want to hear

Monday was my birthday and Ada was still not better, so I took her in to the Dr.  I suspected what she actually had might be a UTI.  Turns out it is probably a kidney infection.  Not sure how they determine one vs the other, but since she had been sick for 6 days and the nature of her symptoms, her Dr thought it had advanced up to her kidney.  So she told me she wanted to give her IV fluids and antibiotics to get a real jump on it.
"Plan on being here for at least 2 hours" she said.  Ack.  Odessa had to be picked up from school, I had Franklin with me who is in the most tiresome stage of wanting to be moving everywhere, but only being able to crawl- so he can't crawl out in public places like the floors of the medical clinic!
2 hours later, they had tried to get IVs in both arms and failed.  I had been kept waiting forever at the pharmacy for her oral antibiotics, Franklin was DONE and I had steam blowing out both ears and my eyeballs too probably.  Ada looked so sick and sad and forlorn sitting in all those waiting room chairs.  The momma bear in me was raging.  It wasn't that we had to wait so much as a show of incompetence by some of the staff.  I have worked enough in the medical field- you can peg them right away.

So we went home and tried to make something of a fun evening of my birthday, but Ada threw up her dinner and we were worried she should go in to the Urgent Care at the hospital instead of messing around at a clinic.  She took her antibiotic after throwing up though and went to sleep.
Tuesday she did not eat all day but took her antibiotic in the A.M.after a lot of convincing and some gagging. Come evening, she couldn't take them- threw them right up and gagged every time I tried to have her take them.
So, in to the Urgent Care we went last night at 8pm.  She got the IV antibiotics and home with a different oral kind and anti-nausea medicine.  She seems a bit better this morning and after trying unsuccessfully to get her to eat anything, she wandered into the kitchen later and said some of the sweetest words:
"Mom, do you think I could have some Cheerios?"

As for other phrases you never want to hear?
I went out Saturday afternoon to return something and got absorbed in a clearance rack.  Stephen was home with the kids and doing some yard work.  When I walked in the door, Stephen said:
"Well, pretty much your worst nightmare came true today".  How awesome is it to come home to that??  It killed my clearance rack buzz pretty quick.
Turns out Stephen had let Franklin crawl around in the lawn and once when he looked over at him, Franklin was munching away on something.  Franklin puts everything in his mouth.  This is so different than our girls, we still aren't as vigilant as we should be.  Well, you may have guessed.  Or you may never imagine something so horrific.  Yes.  He was munching on some old chicken poop.  I nearly lost my lunch.  Stephen nearly drowned Franklin with the hose apparently while frantically cleaning out his mouth.  I have to say I have been pretty consumed with Ada and forgot to worry about any lasting effects from the incident.  Franklin never got sick, so I guess we can count our blessings for that.  The kid seems to be a fortress.

5 comments:

Kim Dewey said...

Yep, your birthday was worse than mine! Poor Ada.
As for the other thing . . . ewe!

Danielle said...

Ah man. So sorry Ada's been sick for so long! That is a huge bummer. I hope she gets better soon and the antibiotics do their job. That is a long time for a little one to feel terrible and what a huge stress for you! Sorry your birthday wasn't much fun. I hope you get to perhaps move it to a new day that is way more fun.

Mandy said...

Chicken poop? Oh, T, you know me - I wouldn't have been able to handle that. Kids + eating gross stuff = ick!

Also, give Ada-girl a hug for us. Poor thing. I'm glad to hear that she is on the mend.

pillowgram said...

WOW you have had quite a week!!!
Hope this one is better.
Love the picture of Franklin, doesn't look like he is doing too bad.
Hope Ada is doing better.
Love ya

Steve and Nancy said...

I'm sorry that Ada has been so sick and glad to hear that she is doing better. As for Franklin and his gastronomic preferences I'm sure that he isn't the first nor the last to try caca de pollo or feces delecti and lived to tell about it I could tell you lots of stories about all of our boys, yes even Stephen. As the saying goes "If it doesn't kill them it makes them stronger." Frankie is one tough little guy!