Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Things we got last week

Don't get excited, Lucky is a "loaner" while her owner recoups and Lucky finds a permanent home.  She is old and deaf and tolerant for the most part of the kids.



We also got our tickets to go to Scotland last week.  My parents are serving an LDS mission to Scotland and (in full disclosure) offered each of us kids financial help to come see them.  Well, in the final 4 months of their mission, they are getting visitors Feb, March and April!  I have planned and accumulated credit card rewards for this trip ever since they left in October of 2011.  I never thought it would really happen until I bought the tickets.  For the first week, I looked up the itinerary every day just to "pinch" myself that this was real.  We are going to be in the UK for 10 whole days not including travel time, so that is a long time away from the kids.  Any tips on "not worrying" about them are appreciated.  But mostly, I CAN'T WAIT!!

8 comments:

Cara said...

So excited for you! That would be such a gorgeous place to visit. I think our kids do better than we think they will away from us, even though it's hard not to worry. But most likely they will have a ball with friends or cousins (whomever they're staying with) and will then be really grateful to have you back after a nice break.

Anonymous said...

OMG - I can't believe the dog is that calm with Franklin! How awesome, and I'm sure all the kids must love her. I hope she gets adopted into a good home soon.

Also, congrats on your trip to Scotland again! If you can spring for it, I would recommend high tea at one of the fancy hotels in London. It is really incredible.

Chadwick and Julie said...

I got so excited to see the dog...then my balloon popped. Then I got so excited again that you are going to Scotland!! SO FUN

Beth said...

Great news--I bet you're planning.

Kim Dewey said...

I'm so jealous! I've been wanting to go to Scotland ever since your parents left --- and especially since reading Mitzi's blog about their trip. You guys are going to have so much fun.

Make sure to take some warm cloths. We went to Wales in May and there were some cold days --- although, being from Texas pretty much anything below 70 is cold to us.

We left our kids with Shannan for five days when we went to Belize and my best advice is to make sure you will be able to Skype. We thought we had it all set up --- accounts linked, practice run before we left, booked hotels with wi-fi --- but once we got there we realized that there isn't enough bandwidth anywhere in the country to video call. It was super frustrating.

Your kids will probably be ultra-clingy when you get home. Just don't make any plans and sit home reading books with them!

Paula said...

So exciting!! I am sure you are leaving them in good hands. My advice is to think about them 1-2 times per day, pray for them, email them but spend the rest of the time knowing they are having an awesome time at home, school, with whomever they are with and likely getting spoiled and then enjoy your days taking in as much as you can on your trip!! My kids tend to be a bit clingy and "bad" when I get back after not seeing them for a few days but it's just out of love. They are always 100% fine while I am away!

Steve and Nancy said...

You absence is our blessing, as we get to have time with your children. We are looking forward to their visit! I think we will all have a great time. Nancy

Alyssa said...

So cute. Makes we want a dog!