Monday, January 12, 2009

Resolutionary Challenge

Stephen and I signed up to do a Resolutionary Challenge at the behest of our friends, Jake and Sarah Anderson. They did it last year with about 40 people, and that same number have signed up this year. Here are the rules:

The 2009 RESOLUTIONARY CHALLENGE

Daily Habits
Each item is worth 1 point, with a possible 10 points per day

1. 7 hours of sleep (not necessarily consecutive--naps count too)
2. 48 oz. water
3. 45 minutes of exercise (not necessarily consecutive)
4. 2 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit
5. No soda, beer, unhealthy snacks, or bad fast food
6. No sweets
7. No eating after dinner/8pm (choose which works for you)
8. 15 minutes of scripture reading (or other spiritual text if you don't do scripture)
9. One journal entry (any length)
10. Express sincere appreciation or praise to your spouse (if single, to another person)
Note: Sundays are "free" days where all points are free.

Exceptions
"You are excused from the sweet rule on YOUR birthday
You may also eat sweets on Valentines Day (or any other day you wish to celebrate)
You are allowed three sick days where you are excused from exercising. This is ONLY to be used if you are indeed sick. If you are pregnant you can eat after dinner/8pm and tailor your exercise regimen."

Everyone kicks in $20 via paypal- you do the math. That's $800 for the winners. I say winners because last year there was more than one person that got all the points available!
My knee-jerk reaction to this was "I can't do that". And then over a week or so I talked myself into ways I could accomplish each goal. Stephen and I came up with a few game plans, such as me being patient while he walks to or from work to get in some of his exercise. With it being rainy and his bike needing some tweaks, he may not be able to bike everyday.
The sweets is what will be hard for me!! But if I have one day to look forward to, that will help immensely. Plus brushing my teeth after meals, sugar free cocoa and gum and . . . . well, you get the idea. Personally, I don't think dark chocolate should count as a "sweet" - do you??

6 comments:

Beth said...

Every day would be a celebration in my house.

Kim Dewey said...

You are a brave woman. It pains me to even think about going without junk food. Sweets are a staple in my diet. And dark chocolate ... that's a health food for sure. My other favorite health food is chocolate chip cookie dough made with whole wheat flour. Ahh the justifications!
Good luck!

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

Dark chocolate is a sweet, unless it is unsweetened (eww, like the baking variety)! You are totally busted....

Corey said...

Kudos to you for joining in! I emailed Sarah back and said "No way, No how!" I guess I'm just a party pooper and found too many things on that list that I'm not already doing and knowing myself I'd never have the willpower to make it. Good luck!

Tara H said...

oh man! Sarah- why did you have to read this post? ha ha!!

Unknown said...

is this the same Jake and Sarah Anderson that lived in Kansas and then moved to Seattle???? If yes say hi for Mike and I! :)


And no I will not be doing that challenge....crazy people!!!! (and yes I can see Sarah initiating that, and doing it 100%)