Thursday, January 8, 2009

Think Again

Mothers with babies beware. You look hopefully towards a time when your baby will sleep through the night and you will start getting the much needed successive hours of sleep again. THINK AGAIN. Now that my "baby" is approaching 2 yrs old, there are nights I get less sleep than I ever did when they were newborns. Toddlers (at least mine) get these night terrors, they are scared of the dark, they are scared of the string on the blinds, they are scared of their own feet it seems, they need their horses at the head of their bed, they have to pee-pee at 4 am, they get hungry in the middle of the night . . . . and the list could go on and on. With the 2 of them tag-teaming last night, I got up 4 times and then called it quits at 5:45 am (most days they sleep past 7:30) and got up with them and fed them cereal. Plans to go to the Children's Museum were nixed because I knew they would need naps mid-morning and that I would never survive any sort of stressful activity without screaming at them- even in public. They run in opposite directions in the museum and I need all the patience I have got. When I am that tired, all bets are off in the patience and screaming department. So we will take it easy for now and mom is going to go take a nap as soon as these 2 are snoozing as well.

Off to bed? Or to torture mom?

7 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

here i was feeling all assured that the worst was far behind me, claire been sleeping from about 8-8 lately...not to rub it in. :) but it would appear that things could all change at the drop of a hat. great. (irene's going through the same thing right now, and panicking about having 3 kids in diapers. yikes!) looks like we've all got our hands full in one way or another.

and no we didn't get a rocking horse, though i'd love one. it was a loaner from the watkins--he took a couple pictures of everyone from the nursery and primary and surprised parents with pics in little frames. how sweet is that?! look what you're missing out on by moving away from us!

and might i add "SOB!" about the thrift store thing.

Danica Osborn said...

wait, haha, i need to clarify!!! that SOB was not meant as an abbreviation! it was me crying out in sadness, as in "sobbing!" although perhaps both are applicable...sorry to drag your mind through the gutter.

Cara said...

That is so not comforting since my 7 month old is sleeping less now than ever before. I'm up 4-5 times a night EVERY NIGHT. But I just re-read an Ensign article about cherishing the small moments with your children before they're gone and I try to do that, even though it means my house gets neglected while I take a nap.

Corey said...

I'm so with you on this. It's even worse when the kids are sick. I have the worst habits too since I'm such a night owl. Once the kids are asleep, sometimes it takes a couple of hours to have them completely down with no nightmare screaming, potty needs, or afraid of the dark rountines, I head off to the computer to finally check emails and have some alone time. It feels so good and the time just clicks by and WHOA, I look at the clock and it's 2am! YIKES! Then I'm off to bed, just starting to doze off and guess who wakes up! UGH! Needless to say since Jeff works nights I've developed some bad habits of letting the boys crawl in bed with me. At least it buys me some extra hours of sleep. We rolled out of be a 9am this morning....NICE. But I still felt like a zombie since it was a very interupted 7 hours of sleep. Here's hoping our kiddos will begin to simpathize with us and start sleeping normally again. But watch once they do, #3 will probably be on it's way and then we start all over again. Sleep is so over-rated away. HA HA!

Larsen said...

This too shall pass. It get's better, promise!

Good luck honey!

Unknown said...

hee hee. i'm glad someone else out there is not sleeping. Good luck! I've started telling them to say a little prayer instead of crying because "Heavenly Father will always protect them" and that seems to help a little. Especially if it becomes a routine thing where they wake up every night around the same time. Before bed we say special don't get scared prayers and reiterate how grumpy mom gets when she keeps getting woken up. sometimes it works.

good luck...and isn't it amazing how much we can still do with so little sleep. Definitely medal material!!!

Tara H said...

good to know there are some of you dealing with this as well. I was wondering if my paranoia of them a) waking each other up or b) waking the neighbors was making me too quick to react and thus encouraging this waking behavior. ps- after naps for all we DID go to the museum and I didn't even scream- not once- not even pushing the stroller in the rain up the hill on the way back (but I really wanted to then).