Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pesky little brother

We've been reading the Little House on the Prairie books and Ada was asking me some details about leeches, which features in one of the books.
Ada:  So, how would an animal get leeches off of them?
Me:  Well, they would use their hind legs I guess.
Ada:  They would need a human to get them off.
Me:  I guess, maybe.
Ada:  What would happen if they don't come off?
Me:  I don't know, I guess they would live there a long time.  They live off the animal they're attached to.  It's like a . . . . (thinking) . . . symbiotic relationship.
Ada:  No, that's not right.
Me:  You're right, a symbiotic relationship is where both creatures get something from each other, it's a parasitic relationship.  The leech is a parasite because it just takes from the host and doesn't give anything back.
Ada:  (lighting up suddenly)  Like Franklin!!

At dinner one night (without Stephen) Franklin was causing an unusual amount of ruckus and howling over not wanting to eat dinner.
Odessa had been very animated, telling us a story but eventually could not talk above Franklin's howling.
Odessa:  It's impossible to CONVERSATE at this table with him!!!



5 comments:

BEN said...

Haha, I have never thought of babies/toddlers as parasitic before, but that is hilarious. :)

BEN said...

Apparently I'm posting as Ben, sorry, this is Cara

Paula said...

That is so cute!!

Lisette said...

I love those girls! They are hilarious in the brilliant things their minds come up with.

Alyssa said...

Too funny!