Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Animal tendencies



We had a great time last week when my mom came for an impromptu visit. We visited Pike Place, Golden Gardens beach and Discovery Park. She had to endure our "heat wave" while she was here, but did a great job and kept the girls happy and tried to put me out of work with all her helping around the house. One day we were at a tiny park nearby when she noticed a large embankment of blackberries across the street. She immediately took the girl's sand castle bucket and loaded it up. The next night we sent Stephen over and he came back with almost a gallon of blackberries. They are some of the sweetest I have ever tasted.
Now I know where I got my "black bear" tendencies from. Turns out my dad is even worse than my mom, he can't pass by a wild bush without stopping and picking. When I was 6 months pregnant with Odessa, Stephen and I took a 10 day trip camping along the Oregon Coast in August. There were blackberries everywhere and I could never walk anywhere without stopping to pick. Even at historical sites and forts, I was picking berries rather than looking at the sights. Stephen nicknamed me his "little black bear". I always knew that I got my hoarding-food-tendencies from my mom. I feel like a squirrel sometimes. Now I feel part squirrel, part bear. Thanks to mom and Stephen, we made blackberry coffee cake, blackberry pie and a batch of jam while my mom was here. Although it wasn't the best weather to be heating up the house with all the baking, it was worth it in the end. And now I have freezer jam to last all year. Stephen and I decided we could eat most anything if it had that jam on it. Maybe if Stephen can pick some more, I can make jam for my friends for Christmas gifts!
She also cut Odessa's hair. I still have to shape it a little because of all the calicks Stephen bestowed on her, but it looks so much better. Thanks mom for everything!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

soooo cute. the cuteness. mmmm, jam! my mother in law and I always pick grapes along the road by her house and make jelly. its so yummy.

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

odie looks sooo big!!!! love the hair.. gotta love sneaking in the random trimmings.. josh's sideburns are the trickiest for me

Corey said...

Mmm, Blackberries! They have to be the only thing that actually makes me look forward to the end of summer! Hyrum and I were just picking some today at my parents house and they were so sweet and juicy we had to make them into a fruit salad for dinner. YUM!

Dancewear By Heather said...

sounds like you had a good time with your mom's visit. I can't beleive how grown up Odessa looks, time really flys!