Saturday, August 16, 2008

Odessa-isms

Thanks to Kristyn for the inspiration behind this post. All toddlers say cute things. Although it's usually a lot more funny to parents and grandparents than anyone else, here we post for all to read and hope that some will make you laugh.

This picture is her being a dinosaur.


this is word for word:
Odessa had her toy phone to her ear, came up to Stephen and I (who were conversing) and said
"Shhhhh, I'm on the phone!" in a whisper.
Then, into the phone- "Oh, that's great." pause . . . " Sure, how're you doin'?" . . pause. . ." Are you kidding? No, don't worry about that".

On the playground as I attempted the swinging platform thingeys, she caught me totally off guard when I heard her call across the playground: "Try it Mommy, you can do it. C'mom Mommy!"
and when I had completed "Good job Mommy!"

A sweet moment: I was putting Ada down for a nap, had her laying across my lap and asked her if she wanted me to sing her a song. Odessa came into the room, and said "I wanna sing with you". Ada watched her, mesmerized, as Odessa sang along to "Hush Little Baby", every verse. It was so sweet in her baby voice, looking into Ada's face. She has never sung with me before. I didn't know she was listening so well all those times we sang it to her.

Odessa gets 2 treats for going potty in the toilet. Sometimes when I get her treats, I help myself to one for going potty all day myself : ). One day as I was pulling up Odessa's shorts after going to get her treats (I hadn't given them to her yet), she caught a whiff of my breath and said in a disbelieving tone - "Hey! you're eating MY treats!"

Coming up to me, after she had gotten down from the dinner table, glancing at my empty plate: "Good job Mommy, eating your dinner all gone!"

We tried to persuade her to eat some raw spinach, she looked at the forkful with disdain and said "No, it's like . . . leaves!"

Trying to load a Sesame Street game for her on the computer:
"Try harder, you can do it!"
still loading . . .
"Try harder!"
"Odessa, I'm doing it as fast as I can."
pause . . . thinking
"No, I'm the rabbit and you're the tortoise". (it took me a moment to understand her Aesop Fable application)

We practice new words with Odessa a lot. She will try and copy our words, so we repeat them for her. Turning the tables on Dad at the park:
"Bumblebees are called flies. Say it. FLIES."
She has continued to do this with us. "Ada is asleep. Say it. ASLEEP."

At the breakfast table, the window is open.
Odessa: "what's that noise?"
Me: "what noise?"
Odessa: "Uh huh."
a moment later
Odessa: "What's that noise?"
Me: "cars?"
Odessa: "no"
a moment later
Odessa: "What's that noise?"
Me: "I don't know."
Odessa: "Hmmmm" (cupping her hand to her ear very dramatically) "sounds like a rooster".
"I have a cow and horse, I live on a farm. "
She went on to explain how to take care of animals on the farm. Looks like we need to head back to our rural roots.

6 comments:

Corey said...

Too funny! I love hearing all of the cute things kids say. It's one of those things that will brighten your day. I love how even in the most discouraging moments kids can find a way to make you laugh.

Unknown said...

Odessa is so darling! I can't believe she how grown up she is. We miss seeing her each week in nursery. I'm so glad you are so happy in Seattle!

Danica Osborn said...

i'm not her parent or grandparent and i still appreciated everyone of those! too cute.

Anonymous said...

Odessa is The Cuteness.

Kate Otterstrom said...

I'm so glad that you captured Odessa's darling little moments. As we read through them, Karl said that it seems like Odessa is a much more grown-up converser than most kids her age. I love her new haircut, by the way!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

LOL! Great little stories. I'm so glad you posted them. I laughed out loud several times. They are our joys, that's for sure!