Friday, August 22, 2008

A little bit ironic, don't ya think?

So I got my teeth cleaned this week for the first time in 3 yrs. Hey, don't judge. Grad school loans don't include dental coverage. As with most appointments of this kind, you kind-of prepare. Like when you style your hair before getting it cut or clean your house before the cleaning lady comes. So I flossed my teeth the night before, made them bleed and super sore the next morning since I obviously haven't been flossing regularly. Perfect condition for my exam. An exam where they take sharp needle-like instruments and poke them into your gums around every tooth five times to measure how recessed they are and how much blood comes out so they can tell you how close you are to getting gingivitis, gum disease and losing all your teeth. Honestly, when in the pre-exam interview I said I had a high tolerance level for pain, I was thinking of giving birth and stuff. You know they give you a local anesthetic for stitching you up after giving birth. So you feel one needle, not 60! Don't think I blame the hygienist, I think she did a good job. I blamed myself the whole time for not flossing regularly AND for flossing just that once the night before- such a mistake. The cleaning was state of the art with a high powered squirt of water that blasted the plaque away and cleaned under my gums. I laid there wishing I were just giving birth again.
Another irony this week. The Olympics. Like a lot of Americans, we have been staying up late to watch sports events we feel are important enough to miss sleep for. The result is being so tired the next day, the last thing I want to do is exercise. It's been an Olympic effort just to get through the day with the girls. When you watch these athletes, there is always a little pang of "wow, they are so fit, I wish I were in better shape" and then you feel like a slug the whole next day on account of watching them! (Anyone know why they broadcast so late? It's from 9pm to 1am here!) And isn't it ironic that I would skip out early on church volleyball to come home, sit on my can and watch the women's gold medal beach volleyball match?

4 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

HA HA. I can totally relate. Kevin and I have been dying all week, we're so tired and yet we continue to go to bed late every night because we get sucked into the Olympics. I'm thinking since when do I care about men's high bar?!

The Marshall Family said...

You are too funny! It is all so true though. I am so glad I ran into you at the temple...now I can stop wondering what you are doing!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Oh, Tara, I wonder the same things. I look at the athlete's bodies and think...that is amazing. Good thing the Olympics are over - now we can get back to a routine and I don't have to sit there and make myself feel guilty.

Corey said...

I can relate on your flossing experience. Did you see Bro. Baker? The last time I saw the dentist was when he was still in Dental School! That tells you how long it's been for me. Ooops! Well at least now that we have dental insurance I'll be able to make an appointment at his new practice. I hope your gums aren't sore anymore!