Sunday, March 29, 2009

the Worst Day ever

Seattle gets a bad rap for it's weather I've decided. The only really crappy season we've experienced is SPRING. You think Winter is going to be all gray and wet. No, it's just gray and occasionally drizzly and sometimes cold (the freak snow was just that- freak). It's SPRING that is "overcookin' ma grits". It's freezin cold and tons of rain and wind! What the crap? We have the rare sunny day in the 50's and you think that Winter is wrapping up and WHAM- crappola day! Yesterday was one of those days.
And yet I decided to take the bus to the Seattle Center and take the girls to the Children's Museum. We have passes and we HAD to get out of the house since Dad was gone on a service project. Everyone had woke up so crabby that morning, no amount of Saturday morning cartoons would have gotten us out of that funk.
The girls whined and cried about the cold and rain the whole time waiting for the bus and walking to the museum. When we got there there was some sort of festival going on upstairs with kid's blow up toys and so the number of families at the Seattle Center pretty much quadrupled, especially since it is the first weekend of Spring Break!
The museum was nuts. I did my best keeping track of the girls (note the foreshadowing). Their favorite was the new play room of Curious George stuff and as always- the grocery store.

Note all the crackers and "junk food" Ada has in her cartAnd Odessa in the fruit and vegetables . . . hmmm

Just as I was getting Ada down from the fire engine, Odessa bolted and I wasn't sure in which direction. I scrambled frantically for a few minutes from room to room, not wanting to leave the main hall in case she moved again and I didn't see her. I finally went to the front desk and told them I had lost my child (a very hard confession for a mom to make). They did their standard procedure and started radioing to all the staff her description and forced me to wait at the entrance so they would know where to bring her and she would see me. Every 30 seconds the director radioed "We are looking for Odessa, 3 1/2 yr old girl, blonde hair, straight bangs, khaki and pink shirt with stripes . . . . " over and over for what seemed like 15 minutes (probably more like 5-6). I started to get anxious, when finally someone radioed that they had found her but she would not come with them. You're thinking "good girl Odessa" right? Nope. She was too busy having fun in the Curious George elevator to leave! Needless to say, we went home immediately after our reunion and I had 2 very teary and whiny girls to drag through the cold and rain and I thought "this is the worst day ever". At least we had been there such a short amount of time that I could still use my bus transfer. Ahh, silver linings on rainy Seattle clouds.

2 comments:

bosslady said...

Ahh, yes, I remember having to make that confession several times myself. Call me if you need to hear some really embarrassing stories. Glad everything turned out all right. I think it's great that you take the kids to so many places.

Becky said...

Oh man...isn't it just like that. Rainy, rainy days (Saturday was the worst) make for gray moods.
Life can go from best day to worst day in about 5 seconds with little kids.