Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Good News, the Bad News and the Sad News

The good news is that after packing EVERYTHING up, including Ada, we had a successful move to our new apartment only because of the herculean efforts of 3 stalwart men from our church who helped us load AND unload. Do we owe them, or what?The good news is that we are pleasantly surprised by our apartment. Not only is it light and bright and looks onto the park and community center (these things we knew), it also has surprisingly more cupboard space and a wonderfully hot and forceful shower (always a perk).
The good news is that 5 years after returning home from a church mission in the Philippines, I am returning and hopefully get to see the Rice Terraces again! My brilliantly smart friend Briana is doing her post doctorate research on rice genetics and was awarded a scholarship to attend a three week class at the International Rice Research Institute south of Manila. She invited me to join her for a week before her class to tour around- hopefully to visit the Rice Terraces, aren't they beautiful? I took my parents there when they came and picked me up and I have never seen anything so amazing. Apparently it seemed worth it to her to offer to pay for half my ticket if I would go with her, so here's to hoping I make it worth her money! We go in May.The bad news is that for the week I was supposed to be cleaning out the old apartment, the girls got Croup. They entertained themselves on the balcony digging in the birdseed "sand"- one of the only things I could think of to keep them busy.I had to cancel all the babysitting I had lined up and just take them with me to the old apartment. They would curl up on the floor to sleep sometimes, exhausted from coughing all night the night before. Why couldn't I just walk away and pay for a cleaning service to finish? Ask my mother how many times she did INSANE things when she wasn't well and you will know why it never occurred to me to let someone else clean up after me. I have learned my lesson.Now the sad news: My Grandma Ruby died last night. What can I say about Grandma? She is the one who introduced me to green olives and Squirt and countless other foods I had never tried. She lived in the Bay area when I was little and that was very exotic to me. She loved cats and to strike up conversations with all kinds of complete strangers. We used to have "dates" when I lived in Boise, just to drive her to the mall and walk around. She wore red fake nails and had lots of dress up jewelry. She was one of a kind. I love and miss her. I am so glad she can see her precious Gene again, he's been gone for 18 years. That's a long time to be without your sweetheart. I am blessed I got to know them as well as I did. I love you grandma and grandpa.

4 comments:

Beth said...

So fun about going to the Philippines. It really is beautiful. I noticed you are posting photos again!

Strange to leave this in a comment, but I am sorry about your grandma. They are so priceless, I'm glad you have such good memories with her.

Becky said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma.
Did you have fun at TOFW? I thought it was great.
I love your apartment windows...those are awesome!

bosslady said...

Tara, what a nice blog! I am glad your apartment turned out so well. Your comments about Grandma are beautiful. See you soon

Paula said...

So sorry to hear about your sweet grandma passing. The moments shared with grandparents are too precious!

That's awesome you get to go back to the Philippines!! Have a great trip!