Friday, April 17, 2009

and then there were 3

Oops, not an announcement! Ha ha. I am regularly watching my friend's son and learning a lot about having 3 around. I just realized one of the lessons is that it's more OK that one of your kids is screaming at the grocery store if you have 3 kids verses 2. You see, the way people look at it I think is that only 1/3 of your charges are causing trouble. They think "at least 2 out of 3 isn't bad" and I get more of a look of sympathy rather than scorn. Fascinating, isn't it? Here in Seattle if you have more than one large dog you get looks of derision at the grocery store (that and the fact that they can see you were too busy to remember your 18 reusable grocery bags at home and your child has a disposable diaper on, oh curse the ways us child bearers are polluting the environment!), so I think it's curious that I can take 3 without getting as many crappy looks as when I have just my girls. Maybe it's because they think Aiden and Odessa are twins. ; )

2 comments:

Becky said...

Ha ha! I know what you mean...and I actually have 3 children! Everywhere I go people tell me,"Whoa! you have your hands full!" Which is code way of saying, "3 kids? Are you crazy?"

And then I reach for my non-organic foods and get the "stare" even more!

erin said...

oh man! I haven't gotten any dirty looks....yet...but I'm really nervous about when I get the first one...You are so tough to take care of 3 kids!