Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Traitor

In the process of moving, we switched phone/internet providers 3 times. I know, I know. Turns out our providers in Queen Anne don't service Magnolia. You know- this tiny little backwater, end of the earth place called Magnolia. WhatEVER. Then the next company couldn't get our phone number from whoever AT&T sold our service to (like the mortgage mess?). Their customer service people were all overseas and I have to say, it was rough trying to understand them and why my phone still wasn't connected. They are so polite, it was almost obnoxious.

Customer Service Rep: Hi, my name is Martin, how can I help you today?
Me: (thinking- "your name is not really Martin") Yah, my phone service is still not connected.
"Martin": Yes Mam, that must be frustrating, can I get some information from you?
blah blah blah
Martin: I'm going to need to put you on hold now for a few moments, will that be ok?
Me: uh-huh
Martin: Mam, you will be on hold for a just a few little minutes, are you alright with that?
Me: Yes! (just hurry up already!)
Martin: Ok, I will just put you on hold for a minute, I will be right back. . .

And on and on. So when I called Quest and got a local customer service rep and he told me he could have it all set up in 3 days, I was like hooray! But I still had to make that uncomfortable call to cut off the other guys. Of course they weren't too happy.
Worse yet, a few weeks later, after enduring the digital signal on our TV (we could only get one good channel with an expensive indoor antennae and every time a cell phone got reception it would make this hideous beeping noise!) we finally decided to get basic cable. This was a huge compromise for Stephen who has co-workers who don't own cars or TVs. Our way of life doesn't include much pop culture or TV - except for PBS cartoons during the day, which are very important!
So I called Comcast who is wired into our building. Of course the (local) customer service rep gave me an even better deal than Quest. With the recession, I am sure I am not the only who has found that people are willing to do quite a lot to get you as their customer. Each company has asked me what I am paying and offered to do the services for less. I love it, I have to admit. But the call to Quest to cancel was painful to say the least. He really laid it on thick, trying to get me to switch back, claiming he could give me other services for less. I felt like a traitor, switching companies so much and getting better deals each time! But I don't feel bad enough not to call a hotel we want to stay in for our anniversary and seeing what kind of package they can squeeze out for me.
Here is a funny you-tube link to Brian Regan and his take on getting your phone hooked up and confirmation codes from customer service people. Boy, if I had a dollar for every confirmation code I got during this move . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohE_edBCM0Q

2 comments:

bosslady said...

Hey-if you can get a better deal, take it! No need to feel guilty--don't think for a minute the big companies and banks taking govt. payouts are feeling guilty about taking your money.

Becky said...

Brian Regan is so funny! I loved that clip!