Wednesday, December 9, 2009

feeling like Alice in Wonderland . . .

because my apartment keeps getting smaller and smaller with additions like the biggest tree we have ever had (in the smallest apartment). It's also the spikiest tree in existence and leaves red welts and draws blood on contact (keeps the girls out of it). Of course Paul Bunyan insisted on cutting down a live tree and since funds were short, I opted for the $10 permit to get a tree of our own verses the $40 tree farm tree. Of course we could not hike far with the kiddies. I remember having the exact same thought last year "they are too young for this!!"The Christmas season keeps getting better and better. On the drive home from Boise, Stephen and I mused that it felt like we'd had Christmas while there. There were presents, good food, good football, family and trees and decorations. Christmas candy topped off the holiday. How fun to have weeks more to celebrate!

Thursday was the busiest day ever . . . . I got up early to make a casserole for Stephen's pot luck only to have him call in sick with a terrible head cold . . . but I took it down to work anyway. Then I snagged the kids and raced to the church to join in the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Christmas party (I am thinking of joining and went to check it out . . . ). I left the party early to arrive late to a friend's surprise birthday party . . . . nacho bar! She'd been craving them, best birthday food ever. Later that night Sarah hosted a Favorite Things party for all the ladies. You bring 4 of your favorite thing under $5. You explain it and also any brilliant gift ideas you have received or given so we can glean gift ideas from each other. Then everyone draws a number 4 times as the bowl circulates the room and you get 4 different other favorite things!! SO FUN. Highly recommended party idea. Everyone goes home happy with most, if not all, their gifts. Food and lots of laughter rounded out the night.

Saturday we attended a fun party hosted at a lovely condo downtown overlooking the water and the lights of the city. It was a fun night to visit with friends and make some new ones. . . . I love the water and watching the ferries. I got teased that there is a character on Grey's Anatomy who is ferry obsessed. I am not surprised they weaved that into the show. They are lovely to watch at night.

on a completely different note: (a religious one, so be forewarned)
I recently bore my testimony at church that I used to think trials were a sure fire way for me to draw closer to God. I have been cruising along so well for so long, God feels a bit distant. We have been blessed in so many ways the last 5 years . . . .
Well, I have had a few trials in the last few months that I thought for sure would humble me. But it appears that my theory was flawed. Turns out that when I previously drew closer to God through my trials, I was doing a lot more spiritual things like reading more scriptures, taking religion classes, serving more people, praying with more fervor. Turns out you can't just hope the trial will make you feel closer to God, you have to take the steps closer to Him first. And maybe you can feel closer to him without the trials after all.That's my thought on God this Christmas Season. Have a nice week before Christmas . . .

4 comments:

Larsen said...

Thanks for sharing this Tara. I needed to read that. Sometimes I wonder why our lives seem pretty peachy and if our trials are around the corner, which makes me nervous for them to come.

But fear and faith can not be in the same place. SO I will stick with faith for now. Least I will try!

Have a good week too!

Becky said...

What a great tree! Did you like the DUP? There are some girls in my ward that do one, and I have thought about it too.

bosslady said...

What kind of monster tree cuts you when you touch it? Can you just imagine the stories your girls will tell when they grow up..."We had a tree that made us bleed!" JK

Paula said...

That tree is scary, wouldn't have that in my house, I would be in the hospital with massive blood loss!

Enjoyed your words in the last paragraph and agree with yor friend Larsen here. I think about that often.