Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thankful for . . . .

We were in Boise Tuesday-Sunday and it was a fun trip. I got to hold my niece Finley for about 45 minutes straight one day, we went to Festival of Trees and I got white chocolate mousse TCBY (no trip to Boise is complete without it). Odessa's birthday was the day after Thanksgiving, so we had a little doggie-themed party with her cousins. Here is the week in review- too bad I was too busy eating to take pictures of the delicious dinner my mom, sister and I prepared.

I'm thankful I found someone on Craigslist who had tickets to the BSU Nevada game. It was Stephen's Christmas gift. (note brother-in-law Ryan's envious eye in the photo). Go Broncos. We heart BSU.

I'm thankful even 8 yr old cousins are willing to craft doggie collars and pose as puppies

I'm thankful doggie breadstick bone relay races were a hit. But "Cat, Cat, Dog" was way more popular.

I'm thankful my mom has kept the 1970's booklet that shows you how to make any animal out of a 9x13 cake. (his 3-D ear is hard to see through the coconut)

I'm thankful for a mom who was willing to have 5 cousins have a sleepover and wake up and make a graham cracker gingerbread houses (Ada's house had just experienced a candy avalanche)

I'm thankful Odessa likes meat. She is not a big breakfast or lunch eater, but loves meat. She always wants a bone to chew on. This turkey was baked Monday night after we got home so I would have leftovers and really, you can't get cheaper meat all year long.
Tonight when we read a farm animals book Odessa pointed to the turkey and shouted, "hey, we ate him!" A discussion then ensued about how if we were to eat that turkey he would have to be killed first (wanting her to understand the circle of life and all). She was fine with this: "Maybe we could chase him with a knife. We would have to run fast."

I am thankful that out of necessity I discovered mashed potatoes are even better when you throw in a sweet potato and even a yam.


I'm thankful I was slightly crazy enough to dye my hair while in Boise. I like it! this particular photo is for my sisters, you know why.

Side note: We had a not so nice experience when we arrived home Sunday night about 8:30. I opened up the fridge and discovered you should never leave a turkey thawing without a big pan under it. I almost closed the door and pretended I didn't see it. I am thankful I had enough bleach to make the kitchen and whole apartment smell like a cheap motel pool and wipe out all lurking turkey juices. Bletcchhh.

9 comments:

bosslady said...

Sounds like you had fun! I love your hair--all you need is some eyeliner and hoop earrings or bangle braclets!

Paula said...

Love the hair! You are a good Dietitian, thawing in the fridge! Too bad about the juices!

Beth said...

Looks like a great time! Your mom's cake book is a treasure & Stephen's jacket is SO bright.

The turkey story makes me gag. I would have walked away.

Becky said...

Love your hair!! And the dog cake. Glad you had a fun THanksgiving!

Michelle M said...

Cool dog cake!

Unknown said...

Sad...I was reading your blog and Makenzie just asked who Odessa was. You guys should move to Utah...I know it's one of your deepest desires! :)

Sounds like you had a fun thanksgiving. I signed up to do a half ironman in Boise next summer. You should plan a trip down there around that time. It would be fun to see you guys again!

Larsen said...

That is gross about the thawed turkey.

I am glad you had fun, but i have to know why that photo is for your sisters....DYING!

Glad you had a nice thanksgiving. We did too.

Alyssa said...

Love love love your hair! Too fun. The dog cake is fantastic! You are the best!!

Erin said...

hahahaha. Odessa is hilarious.