Sunday, January 17, 2010

this is killing me

so I am just going to tell you. Your guesses are much better scenarios than the one we are currently in (especially yours Kim). I would much rather be having a spontaneous baby in the next 4 months (you didn't know I was even pregnant, did you? ha ha- I'm not). Even having crazy landlords would be good. And no great, new job. No, we found papers taped to our door Saturday morning, this house is being foreclosed upon (if that's even the right terminology).

I think I am going through those 4 stages of . . . . whatever they call it. Denial, anger, depression . . . acceptance. But I go through those in like 30 minutes, over and over. I giggled hysterically as Stephen read aloud things like "auction on the steps of the courthouse" and "60 days to vacate the premises after the house is sold" as we ate our pancakes. This stuff seemed like it belonged on TV and not in my life, and I found it surreal and utterly funny. Then the hysterical giggles turned into crying when I thought about moving AGAIN. Possibly leaving Magnolia and a lot of our friends, uprooting the kids, not going to Disneyland . . .
Here's the dirt: if we are moving again, it should probably be into a house. Where we can stay. For AWHILE. Like, OUR house. BUYING a house. Which means an expensive trip to Disneyland is probably not the smartest move right now when we'll need the money for house, and another move. I say it like that out loud too. I'm trying to make it sink in.

So, what does the owner of the house say, you might wonder? Stephen got a hold of her Saturday evening. I did my best to not be in the room with him. They had a much too jovial "heart to heart" about what was going on and what our options were. We have a long standing family joke that may shock a few of you (consider yourself warned), but it goes like this: "don't send a MAN to do a BITCH'S job". That just means some of us Hambelton girls don't always approve of the nice ways our husbands deal with people who we feel are treating us unfairly (and comes from an incident with a landlord, actually). Apparently, she has an adjustable rate mortgage and has been trying to refinance the last few months while she also tried selling the house. She thought she had a refinance deal all sewn up when she decided to rent it and then it fell through. She is still trying to save the house, but we are not counting on anything. We technically have a 4 month lease (coincidence that April is when it goes to auction?), but it was always verbally month to month and she confirmed that with Stephen. If we find the right place, we are moving out of here. I don't even know how to feel about this place anymore. Part of me wants to hang on here as long as possible since a mortgage will be like double what we are paying here and part of me wants out of here ASAP.

Can I claim a little woman's intuition "I KNEW IT!!" right now? The decision to move here seemed to fall into place like dominos, "clink, clink, clink". We beat out the other interested parties, our landlord let us out of our lease, the move of 2 blocks was amazingly smooth. So you would think that I would feel all warm and fuzzy about it, right? No, the day after we decided to move, I started feeling HORRIBLE. I kept chalking it up to the nervousness of moving our stuff over the holiday and asking our friends for help again, but I think now it was more than that. The night we moved in, I still felt bad. If I had really listened, maybe I would have backed out, I don't know if that would have even been possible, but here's to wishful thinking . . . . . . . do you think I can get her to pay for these blasted area rugs?

14 comments:

Corey said...

Oh, Tara!!!! How horrible! What an evil landlord! I guess if she had let you in on her financial trouble with you before you moved in her house would still be empty. How annoying that she wasn't honest with you guys!!!! I would have totally ripped into her as well. Stephen is such a great guy to keep so mellow! Hey, don't worry about asking for help to move again. Jeff said he'd help again in a heart beat and it was seriously the easiest move he's ever done. Good luck in the hunt for a new nest for your family! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Hey actually....do you want to move to Green Lake? My parents have two rental houses available right now. One is 5 bedroom and 2.5 bathrooms and the other is 2 bedrooms 1 bath. The smaller on is the once Jeff and I lived in before we moved here. The larger one is the one I grew up in before my family moved to Bainbridge. It would put you in the 5th ward, but at least you'd still be in the area. Plus you can be certain my mom isn't an evil landlord since you've already met her. Anyhow, call me if you want more info on the houses.

Beth said...

UGH

Becky said...

Oh no. That makes me sick, so I can only imagine how you are feeling. I guess it is a good time to buy, but not really under circumstances like that (basically being forced out).

Danielle said...

Well, does she have an attorney? Jason is a bankruptcy attorney and saving people's houses is what he does. He also does loan modifications. You could pass on his info, I guess.
Sorry about this! If you want to move to Ballard, there are always apartments available in our building. You can join Mandy's and my "club" and hang out with us on 57th. ;)

Larsen said...

Tara. I am so sorry to read this entry. What a terrible mess. I am truly sad for your area rugs. List them them on craigs list??? Maybe the new place you find--you will need them.

Well, I am thinking of you. And I laughed out loud at the Man and B-thing. I feel the same way sometimes....that Kyle is too nice.

So I thought it was funny!

And, how do you like the background?? I hope you are genuinely happy with it, and not just using it because you have to cause I made it for you type of thing. Tell me the truth. I can take it. Were you wanting more trees or flowers or something? darker grays??

xoxoxo
Gina

Unknown said...

ah man!!!!! Stay positive! Moving is FUN!! You get to pack up all your stuff and move it...that's exciting :) I am really am sorry-hang in there

Cara said...

That stinks! It's always like salt in a wound when you feel uneasy about something, ignore the feelings and then find out later that you should have listened (like our car situation). But maybe you'll be blessed with an awesome house. Good luck!

Paula said...

Oh geez, that seriously is the pits!!! Move to Canada!! Now's your chance. No seriously, I hope you find something quickly and smoothly and Disneyland will still be there next year, it will be, and you can have a relaxing vacation once all this is settled. These crazy happenings do make us stronger in the long run....it just doesn't feel like it at the time. All the best and good luck! Thinking of you!

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

You poor thing!!! We are thinking good thoughts for you!

pillowgram said...

Hang in there something good will come. I am just so sorry it all happened like this.
Love ya

Alyssa said...

Jeff's quote lives on in infamy!
This is one of those times that my big sister desire to wisk in and help in some way kicks in. If only that was helpful! Call me anytime - I'm at least available to listen! Double ugh!

Kim Dewey said...

I was really hoping for the tropical island --- I need a vacation!

Well, at least you can save your rent money until you move. I'm sure she's not paying the mortgage any more, and she can't evict you any faster than you are already being evicted, so you can save that money for your new mortgage. (I'm sure Stephen at least made that point clear to her, right?? Surely??)

j. vorwaller said...

aw, tara... that is SO crummy.
Fingers crossed that good things come out of this!

Unknown said...

Hey, that's what happened to us too and it worked out in the end! We got a great house, moved out on the suckers who we were renting from (still didn't get it sold after 6 months in foreclosure) and we're loving it here! It'll all workout in the end!