Monday, October 11, 2010

I haven't had salsa in 7 weeks and . . .

I keep the oven fan running all day long . . . .
I have to avoid looking at fast food signs when I drive and I change the channel when their commercials come on . . . .
I also haven't eaten chocolate in over 7 weeks!
Did you guess yet? Many of you know already (because I have a Varsity letter in whining)- I am pregnant. And about 10 times more sick than I ever was with Odessa and Ada- which really threw me for a loop. There were a couple weeks I just felt like curling into a ball most days. Good thing the girls are so independent and Stephen so nice . . . and patient . . . and long suffering . . . .
After trying lots of alternative remedies for morning sickness, my Dr finally prescribed me some Zofran. This was heaven in a bottle. In fact, I started taking a half dose right away because a whole dose made me feel too good to be pregnant. So a bit of the nausea remains, but it's manageable. I even cook a bit! If you want to have a debate about medicated vs non-medicated pregnancies, don't leave me a comment. Feel free to call : ). It took me a little while to be ok with this decision.

We are pretty excited! We have been trying to get pregnant for a LONG time (for us). With both Odessa and Ada it was like first or second try- for real. We have been trying since May of 2009 with an 8 week miscarriage in August 2009 (maybe another blog post, but I always knew that pregnancy wasn't "quite right"and wasn't shocked to miscarry although I was shocked by the hormonal aftermath it created.) So you can imagine our surprise each month when it still didn't happen.
But ok, now I am due in April (again) and all seems very well. In fact, too well. I am super sick and my tummy is SUPER big. Already. Not cool. In fact, before we even told the girls, Ada asked me why my tummy was so big: "do you have a baby in there?" she asked. Sheesh! They have been SO SWEET. They include me in every prayer "bless mommy to feel better" even in front of the entire primary at an activity after which several teachers turned to smile at me. Secret out? Not sure. The girls would also draw me special get well drawings, bring me blankets and cover me up . . . . they will make great mini-moms.
We officially told them last night . . . starting with a book about becoming a big sister we used when Ada was born.
Me: Ada, what you need to be a big sister?
Ada: . . . . . . . to be four?
Me: No, not really- Odessa was a big sister when she was 1 and a half years old! What do you have to have to be a big sister?
Ada: . . . . . grown up?
Stephen: No . . . . what does our family have to get, to have, for Ada to become a big sister (pointing now to the baby in the book).
Odessa: (lighting up like a Christmas tree) WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A BABY!!!!

And then the pandemonium broke loose. Ada spent much of the night being a dog and then a baby. Despite her months of wanting a baby so badly, I think she has realized she might have some competition once one actually arrives. Odessa was just thrilled- I couldn't get her to stop rubbing my belly. She even crawled into bed with me this morning and asked if I had grown bigger from last night. Great. I am excited to take them to my next appointment and have them hear the heartbeat. When I first heard it was the moment I think I let myself really believe I was pregnant.
As for our anniversary- it was de ja vousish for us. I also had morning sickness on our second anniversary and we ended up eating at a Greek restaurant that night. For this anniversary, I had a Groupon for (you guessed it) a nice Greek restaurant. I am not really TRYING to solidify never wanting to eat greek food again in my life, but if you have to pick a type of food . . . well you can't hate Italian food for the rest of your life!

17 comments:

Danielle said...

Congrats! Yay! So happy for you guys!
No judgment here. The question I am asking myself is: why didn't anyone give ME zofran??? Sheesh. I was SO sick with both kids I couldn't function until about the 7th month.

Becky said...

Congratualtions! So happy for you guys!

Larsen said...

Wonderful news! I was wondering but it's just not something you pry about over a blog or email, or even in person in most cases.

I am terribly sorry to hear you are sick, but very happy to know that the Z-stuff is working it's charm.

Meds are great. It's wonderful that we are blessed to have such remedies in our day. As a pioneer, on the freezing plains of Iowa, you'd probably die. Just sayin'. It's the Historical Missionary in me!

Let those girls baby you, and curl up on the couch with a good book and a bowl as you need it.

I had Brooklyn in April. Turned otu to (felt like anyway) be my longest pregnancy ever. But it was a great month to deliver in. Weeks after she was here the weather was picking up and we could get out and we enjoyed a great summer.

BIG BIG HUGS TO YOU BOTH!

Stephen wantin' a boy??? *wink*

Paula said...

Yay, I have been waiting for this post forever! Ha ha. My advice to anyone pregnant and sick, just take the meds until you feel like you can cope and don't be a martyr about it, it's worth it!

Cara said...

I was expecting you to say you were going to have twins when you said you were so much more sick and that your belly is bigger faster. :) Congratulations, that is fun news.

Michelle M said...

How exciting! It sounds like your girls have been very sweet to you. I'm sorry to hear that you miscarried before. My heart goes out to women who experience this.

I threw up a few hundred times when I was pregnant with Dayton. Then I discovered the miracle of zofran when I was pregnant with Daphne- it made a HUGE difference. Maybe you've been feeling differently because you're having a boy.

mandy* said...

Ahhhh! I forgot to call you back today! (Actually, that is the story of my life lately. Sorry.) I wish you had video taped Odessa, because I can just imagine her face. Also, I wish I could be a fly on the wall at your next appointment so I could see the girls as they listen to the heartbeat. It's all so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corey said...

Yay Tara!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Funny, I'm actually more excited for you than I am for myself. I guess it's because I know you've been wanting this for so much longer than I have. But I'm glad that we'll both be experiencing 2011 with new little ones. April will be a great month to deliver in, January on the other hand I'm not too excited about, but you take what you get right?? Here's hoping the sicky icky feelings disappear soon! That's gotta be the worst about this whole process. Can't wait to hear what you are having, that is unless you are wanting a surprise. Take care!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Tara I'm absolutely thrilled for you! How wonderful to be pregnant although sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Hopefully it won't last through out your entire pregnancy. Will you find out if it's a boy or girl? Your daughters are so darling, I loved reading about how well they took care of you. I know lots of friends and my sister who couldn't have survived without zofran. Do what you gotta do! Congratulations again.

Unknown said...

Yeah!!! So excited---r u hoping for a boy?...girls are fun though! :) And I'm such a fan of Zofran. Take it with pride!

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

its official!!!! i have only know forever!!! :)

i am so excited for you and stephen.... i really need to see you... really.. i mean it. we also need to talk more than 2 seconds on the phone.. give me till this weekend.

Kim Dewey said...

How exciting! You and Alyssa need to have babies of the same gender so they can be best-friend cousins (except for the whole living-on-opposite-sides-of-the-country thing). I am very happy for you guys.

DJ & I will have to plan our trip for a time when we can meet your new little one.

pillowgram said...

Cute blog. I am REALLY missing seeing your cute family!!! I am already looking to see when I can come again.

Alyssa said...

Too cute! I know when I was sick I could have used some cute girls comforting me! So cool we are doing this at the same time. Take care.

Jana said...

Yeah! Congratulations to you and Stehpen! We're really happy for your family. I love your girls reaction. Ada is so awesome. When I'm excited about something I like to act like a dog too. ; ) We miss them. And you too.

Kristin said...

Congratulations! Great news!

Erin said...

I'm late in saying this but congratulations!!!!