Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Shout it all out

I am not a real "shout out" kind of person, but there are several things that are missing from my blog lately. This post is almost for catch-up purposes so I won't ever forget . . .

First, to elaborate on the this wonderful taxi driver - whose taxi number I should have written down so I could make one of those phone calls of praise to his company instead of complaints. We got off the bus about a 1/4 mile from our house, up some rolling hills, around some corners. Stephen had to use both arms to hold a sleeping Ada and I was pulling our one large suitcase and holding hands with a zombie-like Odessa. We did not get far from the stop when a taxi passed us, then turned around and pulled over. I waved him off thinking "no way am I paying a taxi after all the work we have done to take the bus". He rolled down his window and said in broken English "I take you where you need to go for free, no charge!" And I knew he meant it because we really were pathetic to behold. Turns out he has 4 kids- little boys and is from Somalia. So sweet and talked about when you offer to do something for free people still think you are trying to get something out of them (like the pessimist I am). I think the hardest part was when he pulled up to our house and said "nice, strong house, lucky kids to have a house like this" and I thought of the 6 of them probably crammed in some apartment on Delridge. That's why I wish we had gotten his number, to pay it forward somehow and pay him back. Whenever I see a taxi now I peer at the driver to see if I will recognize him.
Second, I wish I had mentioned that my mom was supposed to go on our Victoria trip with us. It was quite a shock the Saturday before the trip when she pinched a nerve in her back and ended up flat on her back. After seeing 2 Drs Monday, she decided Tuesday morning not to fly out to us that night. That was sad. She is much, much better now and we are so glad she didn't try and over do it and make her back worse. When Ada asked her on the phone if her back was better and my mom answered yes, Ada said "then you can come to our house now". They are looking forward to a "make up visit" from both my parents in December!


Third, people have been really nice to me since finding out I was having a hard time being sick with this pregnancy. Stephen has been an angel, you would not believe what he puts up with. I also have to tell you about my friend Hermes and how he made us dinner one night- my favorite Filipino dish, Tinola. Which is PERFECT for a pregnant woman because it's essentially the best chicken soup ever with lots of ginger in it and green papaya and leaves of some sort . . . hmmm I forget- anyway, it was to die for. You pour it over rice. My cousins got to partake of some of the leftovers and they also fell in love with Tinola. Seriously, one of the sweetest things anyone has done for me. He also fed our chicks while we were gone along with my friend Hillary and her family. Thanks guys!!

Last but not least, I never blogged that my sister Alyssa is also expecting- she is about 4 months ahead of me, due in January. This was a HUGE surprise to everyone- they told us in a tricky way at the family reunion this July. They led us on a treasure hunt that ended with a ultrasound photo! The roof of the condo I think jumped 2 feet as we all flipped out. I think the son-in-laws were blown back by the blast and realized their wives and sisters-in-law were all a bit more dramatic than they had even imagined. It was sheer joy. Alyssa is my oldest sister (far left in the photo) and this is their first baby. My two sisters in between each have 4 kids a piece. So you can imagine the fun of talking to her about maternity jeans and birth plans and how she is going to "survey monkey" us all to find out the most essential baby items. TOO MUCH FUN.
I didn't blog about her being pregnant when we got back because it was still a secret, but now it's too fun to not include somewhere in my writings. (btw during the reunion someone assumed I was the oldest- in fact I am pretty sure it was the photographer )
And THAT is me playing catch up . . .

3 comments:

Cara said...

What a nice uplifting post. I love the tender mercies in life like that and I love the picture of you and your sisters. Pretty ladies!

Kate Otterstrom said...

Hi Tara--I was thinking about you because Karl mentioned an email from Stephen yesterday. He is so much better at keeping in touch with you guys. Anyway, it's fun to catch up via your blog. I hope that you start feeling better soon.

pillowgram said...

Loved your blog! I love the picture and what a nice taxi driver. There are a lot of nice people in the world.