Friday, October 18, 2013

IKEA potty training plan

When Odessa was little, we went to IKEA and she begged to go into their awesome play area, complete with ball pit.  I told her the rules at IKEA are that you have to be potty trained to go in.  We went right home and started working on it.  Worked like a charm and as a reward, she got to go back to IKEA some months later when she was wearing undies and not having accidents.
Ada needed no such inducement- she just wanted to be like Odessa and trained within a year after her.
Franklin doesn't have much interest in toilets or potty training- much less than the girls at this age.  So when we were in IKEA this week (I make about 2 trips a year), I walked him all around the amazing play area.

Me:  That looks like fun, doesn't it?
Franklin:  I want to go in there!
Me:  Look at that ball pit!
Franklin:  I want to go in der!!
Me:  I know, it looks so fun!  They even have a playhouse!
Franklin:  I WANT to go in der!!
Me:  Guess what?  You CAN go in there when you go potty in the toilet and wear underwear!  You have to go potty all the time in the toilet before you can go in there.  Do you think we could work on that?
Franklin:  Oh yes!

Hopefully it will work as well this time as it did last time!


1 comment:

Kim Dewey said...

It's all about finding their currency ... what speaks to them! Love it!