Monday, April 14, 2008

Field of Spring

I had two signs of Spring today. Today was one of those sunny, brisk and chilly Spring days when you look out the window and say "looks really nice" and step outside and say "crap! brrrrrrrr". So the first sign was that I saw all kinds of people dressed in all sorts of attire. There was the toddler at the park dressed in a full body snowsuit and then a 10 yr old showed up wearing short shorts. I saw several people in heavy coats and on my way home a man was biking in short sleeves. This kind of Spring day really sorts people into different categories. You've got the ones that don't care what the weather is, the calendar warrants short sleeves (and shorts for some insane 10 yr old) and then the practical people that bundle up regardless of date, temperature is their only concern. I tend to be in the middle somewhere. My kids were in coats and jackets and hoods, I wore many layers with a hooded sweatshirt. Keeps me warm while giving the impression I don't care. ha ha
The second sign of Spring was when I was putting the kids to bed, I heard a bird chirping. It threw me back to the days of my childhood when I had to go to bed when the sun was still out and the birds were still chirping. It was a signal that warmer days were on their way.
I had a great conversation with my friend Amy today about surviving life verses living it. I was impressed with her determination to never feel like she is just "surviving". Of course this had many applications to being full time moms.

This weekend was an example at my attempt to "live" more fully and not just "survive". Stephen was in Seattle for a few days for interviews. I decided to try and go to Lincoln Park Zoo so that the girls and I were not just sitting at home, waiting for him to get back. I asked Nicole and Josh along and since the weather was bad, we were able to switch plans and go to the Field Museum since Nicole had a family pass. What a fun day. The kiddos ran around looking at all the animals and Nicole and I caught up on things. The kids were fairly good, despite Odessa trying to duck under exhibit barriers and their fascination with all computer and television screens. Kudos to Nicole for making the whole thing happen. If left to me, we may have resorted to just hanging at the play ground in the mall!
At the museum, we even happened upon a possible marriage proposal set-up! In the gem room of the museum, it's almost pitch black. The displays are lit up beautifully. In the corner as we were leaving, was a solitary glass box display with a ring box inside showcasing a beautiful engagement ring. The very official placard read something like "This is the actual ring used by "John Doe" to propose on April 12th, 2008." Well, it took us a few minutes to realize that we were THERE on April 12th, 2008, so we figured it must be a set up and a girl was going to get the surprise of her life on her trip to the museum. If we hadn't had kiddos, we could have staked out the spot, waiting for it to happen. But alas, we had to move on. My only hang-up about the idea of getting proposed to in the gem room was that the ring looked a little smallish after being dazzled by GIGANTIC gems!! ha ha, but that's shallow of me, isn't it?

3 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

had so much fun at the museum.... i do wish we would have stayed to see what type of guy is the type to propose like that.. oh, did you get my email about friday.. do you think you will be scentsing the whole night or do you want to come out with some of the girls.. i can't find your invite but i think your party went till 8? let me know, nic

Unknown said...

I am jealous of all your fun. Moms here in Utah aren't so keen on getting together. So I miss you guys! Keep on "living!"

Lindsay said...

Hey Tara, this is Lindsay. I saw your blog listed on Chris & Heather's. I laughed at your post because Ritchie is one of those guys who wears shorts regardless of the weather. I usually have to hand him a pullover or a windbreaker in order for him to think about putting it on. I'm glad spring is coming. In Texas we're in full bloom, trying to get our garden growing before the stifling summer heat. Anyway, I also liked your idea of living life and not surviving....it's hard to remember some days :). This is a long post so I'll end it but I'm excited to read your blog!