Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Seattle Draught?

Yesterday was so nuts. After 2 hrs of cajoling and persuading, Odessa finally took her nap on the basis that if she didn't, we wouldn't go swimming when she got up. The Seattle Center has a great big wading pool with rocks and fountains and also a HUGE pulsing fountain, but it's a little scary for the kids. It's quite the job to get both girls into their swim diapers, suits and clothes on top, swim shoes, then pack all the necessary gear, get them in the stroller and down the elevator while chasing one or both of them half the time. Finally we were on our way! Bite of Seattle was this weekend and they were doing a lot of take-down and clean up. The wading pool was- empty. Completely. Must have drained it for the event. We headed over to the big fountain- also dry and not a dribble coming out. We headed for home very disgusted. Odessa heard water and saw a fountain inside a gated courtyard. She threw a tantrum- she could see water, hear it, now she just needed to get out of the stroller so she could PLAY in it. It belonged to a snooty cafe you go to after the ballet. No way we were getting access to it. I convinced her we would go home and go swimming with dad after he got home. There is a splash pool at the top of Queen Anne, but no way was I pushing the stroller home and then proceed to go all the way up to the top.
So after dinner, we did the whole routine again- swim diaper, suits, etc, etc. Off we go, thankfully with Stephen pushing the stroller. Unfortunately, I got confused about exactly where the park was, and we took a few wrong turns and went a ways out of our way. Finally we found it. No water in the pool! Apparently, they turn it off about 7. We got there at 7:30. So, no swimming for this clan. I just thought it was so unfair! Here is what the Seattle Center fountain is supposed to look like.

Odessa has continued with the funniest sayings. One of my favorites is "are you tinking what I'm tinking?". We have no idea where she learned this. Often when I call her "Sweet Pea" or "sweetheart" she says "I not Sweet Pea, I Odessa!" This morning we were discussing (again) movies and I was explaining that she just can't pick out a new movie everyday and expect to watch it (especially at 7:30 am). I was not in the least upset at her this morning, but Odessa is very into feelings and sometimes overstates things (impossible for a toddler, I know). She started into this ramble about something, then says "I make you sad, then I make you mad, listen to me, I need to watch a movie, ok? Why I not watch a movie?" I had to smile and say "because I'm the mom" and she said "but I'm Odessa". I was surprised this was all so sincere and not in a sassy or tantrum mode. So I told her to get down and come over to me and she asks "so you can whisper some-ting in my ear?" (yes Beth- we got that from you). And I just hugged her for awhile. They ARE growing up so fast!

2 comments:

Kate Otterstrom said...

Bummer about the fountain/wading pool/water mix-up, but way to be a trooper for your kids! I loved Odessa's responses to you!

Corey said...

So sorry about your draught day! Next time we'll just have to head to Green Lake. There's always water in their wading pool or you can take a plundge in the lake. FYI the Queen Anne wading pool usually drains at 6pm and doesn't fill until after noon. Lame I know! Oh well! Too bad we don't have yards and can't just set up sprinklers or little wading pools. Someday though!