Sunday, July 13, 2008

Seattle sights

Well, we had a great time Saturday. In the morning we went down to Pike Place, it's always a great time. Although we needed to bring the double wide jogging stroller b/c it was Ada's nap time and those seats recline ALL the way back. She slept about half the time we were there, so kudos to the stroller. However, getting your own body through the crowds at Pike Place is hard enough, let alone a double wide. Most people were pretty nice about it though, and lots made comments like "oh, you've got your hands full". I think it's so funny because if you are pushing a double stroller, you always get people peering inside at your kids to determine if you are hauling around twins. My kids are pretty close in weight, but 18 months in age and I still get the question "twins?". I think it's funny. We had some delicious seared scallop chowder for lunch- pure cream and it was SO GOOD. We also bought some of the best peaches at Pike Place I HAVE EVER EATEN. Some of you will know how much this means to me- a large, plump RIPE peach. And thankfully they don't cost any more than at the grocery stores around here. In the last week I have eaten some of the best cherries, blueberries, raspberries and peaches and it all reminds me of why I love the Northwest.
After we took the kids home and napped, we decided last minute to take a picnic dinner to Golden Gardens which is a nearby beach and park. It was filled with people, but we still had fun. Odessa will stay in that water until she is blue in the face and the current threatens to sweep her away. That kid is NUTS. The sand there is like grey volcanic mix or something, so everyone came home pretty dirty. I know now to be better prepared next time and to make sure to bring our shovels and pails. Odessa threw our beach ball too far into the water and Stephen had to leave his sandwich and come down to swim after it, shirt on and all (since I wasn't wearing my suit and at least he had his trunks on). A nearby father said he deserved father of the year award for being called down to the water and actually going in after the ball (it was pretty cold). Stephen was glad for the excuse to get in the water and swim.

If you read my last post, you will really laugh at what I did this week. Odessa has moved on past the Baby Einstein movies we have and so I have been looking around for cheap Disney VHS since everyone is getting rid of them and we have a VCR/DVD player. I saw a Craigslist ad for 200-300 Disney and family movies for FREE to anyone who would take all 3 boxes away. I thought that I could handle 3 boxes and the guy must be exaggerating the total number of movies. Considering that most people were selling Disney movies for $2-4 a piece, I thought at least I could pick through and get some good free ones. Well, he was not exaggerating. What I didn't know until I called was that this was a VIDEO STORE getting rid of their entire family section of VHS. The 3 boxes were HUGE- so huge that I had to put them in as passengers and take the remaining videos out of the third box and just stack them in the trunk. I laughed to myself for a hour after. What a nut head! Who goes and picks up 300 videos? Just for a few free ones? Well, we picked through them of course and there are quite a few good ones. Stephen was not thrilled at my attempts to thwart his "sizing down" efforts with my accumulating more junk efforts. The rest of the movies will go to a lucky thrift store somewhere. We have the boxes covered with a table cloth in our bedroom and Odessa hasn't found them yet, thank goodness. If she knew how many movies we have now, I'd never hear the end of it.

3 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

maybe donate to an orphanage or a battered childrens/moms home..

can't believe they just gave those all away!

p.s. i told you that odessa is a wild one!

Danica Osborn said...

if things keep going so well for you out there you'll never want to come back here!!!! :(

of course i'm kidding, it sounds like all is well with the hunts and i was thrilled to hear you'll be paying us a visit in the fall. can't wait to catch up. keep me in the loop and maybe i can tag along to dinner with you and nicole.

Kim Dewey said...

We definitely come from the same gene pool, don't we!?!! I spend $75 to fix a $10 rocking chair, you get 300 movies to find a few you like.