Friday, June 5, 2009

and then there was peace

prequel to yesterdays post:
The girls got to bed at 11 PM!!! wednesday night because of the too-much-fun open track meet their dad ran in that night in SHORELINE. Needless to say, mommy got to bed even later. when they both woke up before 7:30 (usual time) I knew we were in for a bad day. Everyone was SO CRANKY, apparently no one more so than myself indicated by the conversation between Odessa and myself.
So we did the unthinkable. We went to Costco. THEN to QFC. I know. Then we ate lunch and then I laid them both down (not much protest from Odessa), buried the home phone in a bucket of toys so I wouldn't hear it ring (how can a phone these days not have a turn off for the ringer??) and went straight into my room, pulled the blinds and turned on my fan. We then slept the sleep of the dead for over 2 hours. Ada interrupted my dream about a High School Halloween party by yelling "mommy!!' and pounding on the wall. So bizarre. And that is why at 7pm last night when Stephen finally made it home from work, everyone was still smiling and we had waited for him to eat dinner. I even baked a rhubarb crisp, imagine that.
I am sure he thought we were all on drugs since usually an unplanned delay in dinner and daddy relief can lead to wailing children and hair loss on my part. Ahhh yes, that euphoric drug called sleep.
(ps- Stephen got second place in the 800 meters with a time of 2:20. Way to pull it out honey- almost as good as my 2 hr nap).

3 comments:

Beth said...

Nathan . . . interested . . . more details . . . track meet. Must talk on phone, soon.

So happy they BOTH napped so you could. Sleep is like gold for mothers of young children and there is nothing that quite takes its place. Believe me, I've tried finding a supplement, and nothing works like sleep.

Rhubarb crisp. Wish we were there!

Tara H said...

Beth, I put in that PS for you guys since I knew you would want to know@!!! so funny.

mandy* said...

I'm glad this story had a happy ending. I kept thinking it was going to be a horror story. Naps are AWESOME!!