Sunday, July 19, 2009

let's hear it for the Ward Family

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a congregation is called a Ward and is determined by geographical boundaries. You show up to church one Sunday and all of a sudden, you are part of the ward "family"- that's why Mormons call each other "Brother" and "Sister", we're all children of the same Heavenly Father. We often take care of each other like family, sometimes in ways family never could.
Yesterday we were returning from a ward campout about 77 miles outside of Seattle, when at about 55 miles still to go, the car died. Stephen coasted to the side of the road. After letting it cool and checking under the hood and trying to start it several times, I whipped out my cell phone. I proceeded to call a number of friends that were still at the campout and would be taveling behind us to Seattle (forgive me for giving these people a shout out). What a relief to see the car of the Titeras when they pulled over ahead of us, then the Andersons showed up behind us and then the Hanleys behind them. It was so amazing to have a whole caravan of rescuers! We had another member of the ward with us and so it took all 3 cars to take the girls, me and and Stanley back to Seattle. Stephen stayed with the car, determined to get it started or after a few hours, tow it. While Stephen waited, the Bores recognized our car and pulled over and helped Stephen get a tow service. The Frasers stopped to see if they could offer help although they had all the seats in their car filled. I can't tell you how nice it was to have so much help when needed.

After I got home, I called the 2 families that had my kids and they each brought them to me. Today at church a member persuaded me to borrow their seldom used second vehicle for the week. I've had numerous offers for rides and errands run. What a relief to not have to stress about things this week! What an amazingly "painless" pain in the neck it was to break down. If we had been coming from Boise 2 weeks ago, it would have been horrible. But I want to say most of these families might have even come out from Seattle to get us if we had called them. (don't worry guys, I have no plans to test that theory out). Thank goodness for family! In Chicago, we had Stephen's older brother Nathan to call the many times we needed bailing out. Sometimes family takes a whole different form.

5 comments:

mandy* said...

Wow! Our ward rocks! I'm glad you all made it back in one piece. If you need anything, call me!

Paula said...

Especially great to have such a supportive "family" when the real thing is far away!

Beth said...

Wow--car trouble is so stressful. I'm glad you had plenty of help. Reminds me I've got 1000 miles coming up really soon . . .

bosslady said...

What an adventure! How great that so many people offered to help. Hope the car repairs are minor.

erin said...

I'm jealous.