Sunday, March 21, 2010

Small Town, USA

I finally figured out why we like this neighborhood of Magnolia so much. It's like living in Small Town, USA- but just up the street from a good sized city. Yesterday was a perfect example: There was a preschool fundraiser at the Methodist Church, selling children's clothing and toys and I headed up there to see if I could find some summer shorts for Odessa. I ran into a friend and saw many other familiar faces. Faces I see at the gym, the grocery store, the post office. When I got home, Ada, Odessa and I walked to the corner to watch part of the Little League parade when all the teams march down the main streets. They throw candy, the High School band plays, all the village businesses sponsor a team, the main streets were all closed. Late in the afternoon when we were all stir crazy from packing, the girls and I headed to the grocery store down the street to see if they had any more boxes. We turned in their Easter Coloring contest pages, hoping to win the $20 grand prize! We met Stephen on our return at the park and played in the perfect afternoon weather. And to cap off our evening, we walked around the corner to the Pie restaurant and split a couple pieces of pie. You don't get more "down home" days than that. I told Stephen they just need a cheap diner to round out the place. Ichiro's Teriyaki will have to suffice- Teriyaki is like diner food around here- cheap and plentiful. Owning our own home will be exciting, but leaving Magnolia is hard to do.
Monday night we hosted the Linfords and Manijeh at our home to thank them for being our grandparents-away-from grandparents here in Seattle. They are such wonderful people, we love them all 3 dearly. We often run to the Linfords at the gym here in Magnolia and the girls shout "Sister Linford!" Which makes all the patrons stare and the rest of us laugh.
I made the traditional St Patrick's Day feast for them. This is a terrible picture, but I wanted to capture the moment.
Friday we met our friend Julia at the Zoo and enjoyed the sunny weather along with half of Seattle. School was out and the kids were all there at the zoo. I ran into 4 other friends besides Julia!
This tiger was licking the other


I love giraffes!


I liked this shot of the wise old gorilla and the young behind



Say goodbye. It's time to focus on moving. . . .

8 comments:

mandy* said...

You know I'm happy about your new house. But let's face it - I'm mostly sad that you are not going to be just over the bridge. Now you will be over the bridge, across the highway, and over another bridge. Whaaaaaa!

bosslady said...

The gorilla picture is the best! I always get nostalgic when we move. Maybe I should *pretend* to move, and I would like where we live now, better!

Steve and Nancy said...

Nice pictures, Tara. The good thing about moving is that you get to keep the friends in your old neighborhood and make new ones in the new. You and STephen are so good at making and keeping friends!

Larsen said...

You are good at keeping friends. Look at us! Hey, I can't believe how small town that is! LUCKY! I do feel sad for you to leave Magnolia! : (

Are those photos from the zoo pictures you took??? What kind of camera do you have?? Email me at kyleandgina@gmail

Becky said...

It does sound fun...everything within walking distance, close-knit community...hopefully you will find that same small town feel in your new house? Good luck with your move! I want to see your new house when you are moved in and ready for guests.

Danielle said...

That's what I love most about Seattle! All these little neighborhoods have their own personalities. The urban village concept is genius. Big city with small town feel. Don't worry, though, I hear great things about West Seattle. I'm sure you'll feel right at home over there in no time, and with that great backyard, I'm sure you'll have lots of friends quickly. :)

Bournes said...

Wow...that place sounds awesome!! I quote from 30 Rock "I want to go to there." And...I must say...those pics are truly amazing!

pillowgram said...

I love your pictures. What a fun time in Magnolia. I think you will make fun times in West Seattle also.