Monday, June 21, 2010

Ode to the Dad

2007
When Stephen walks in the door at 6pm he immediately becomes super dad. He jumps right into playing with the girls, usually still sweaty and in his biking gear. He plays soccer or tag with them if they're outside or becomes whatever villian or prince they demand of him when playing inside. Yesterday alone he was Dr. Calico, Balto, Phoebus, Hercules, and Prince Phillip- all within about 15 minutes. That's exhausting! Then he helps them set the table for dinner.

2010

He's always willing to play games with them and do things to help them learn things like reading. He has a new plan to leave Odessa a sentence every day with a secret message about something she gets to do that day. It's working pretty well, she enjoys sounding out the letters.

Stephen's also in charge of bedtime routine which we established so he would get some quiet time reading with the girls every day. He is so great at helping them pick up their room before bed. He never lets them go to bed in a messy room. It used to be a game of seeing who could get to a toy first to pick it up. Now they are all helping robots. If you have seen the Sesame Street episode where Telly and Elmo and one other (?) monster become the Alphabeta-bots, you will know what bed time is like at my house. It's hilarious to hear all 3 of them talking in "robotese". Odessa is Bot 1 and Ada is Bot 2. Sometimes the girls need "reprogramming" by tickling when they don't follow orders quite right.

Having Stephen take over for me in the evening is such a huge relief. I can do a night on my own ok if I have some notice ahead of time, but when a meeting or home teaching kind of springs up, I wonder how I can ever do it without him!

I have been trying to save money and not make many trips to the store lately, so Stephen got to pick from the things I had on hand for his Father's Day pie yesterday. Mixed berry from the freezer, sweet potato pie (I have never tried it!) or chocolate cream. He wisely chose mixed berry and it turned out I had blackberries, raspberries and blueberries- all picked last year locally and frozen. I have to tell you, this is the FIRST time I have made pie that it tasted as good as my moms!! The filling set up just right, not too runny or stiff. The crust was done, but not burnt and so flaky. I was SO HAPPY that our night could end with the perfect ode to the

5 comments:

Larsen said...

That is so true about teaching moments and let-it-go moments.

Stephen is pretty great. I am glad that Kyle and Stephen had each other as friends as kids. They both turned out fabulous.

Lucky us, huh!

Alyssa said...

OMG - I'm hungry....nice pie! Nice Dad too!

Steve and Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing Stephen's fatherly activities-make's me a proud and grateful mother. I'm so glad he enjoys being a dad! Your pie looks beautiful! We had a mixed berry pie for father's day dinner, also. Nancy

Michelle M said...

Great-looking pie! I love it when Derrick helps out with the bedtime routine, too. What a relief for moms!

pillowgram said...

What a great Dad, you are a lucky mom! What a yummy looking pie, he is lucky you are such a good pie maker! Life is good!!