Friday, December 17, 2010

All I ever need to know I learned from PBS Kids



(Ada HATES having her hair combed, hates ponytails and her super fine hair was always tangling, so last Saturday, I whacked off more than 6 inches. She loves it- she could pull off a pixie,
but maybe when she's older : )

We've had seriously horrible periods of time when my kids watch altogether too much PBS kids. Pregnancy nausea, moves, overloaded with new stay at home job . . . etc.

I've got "those kids" who will sit riveted to a TV as long as you let them- sometimes you can't get them to blink, let alone respond to you if it's on. Dangerous, I know. So thankfully, I am glad PBS tries to make their stuff educational and this is my tribute to them . . . . . and my bad parenting skills.

Stephen is often surprised by something the girls tell him at dinner or when he gets home and he used to ask me "how do they know about that?" and my response was always "PBS Kids, where do you think they learned it?"
I can't tell you how many explanations begin with me saying "remember how on Curious George/Sid the Science Kid . . . this and that happened and so that's why . . . . "
Plus I attribute Odessa's ease in picking up reading and writing comprehension to many of their literature programs.

Some funny moments that led Stephen and I to surmise that all we really need to know we learn from PBS Kids:
Odessa started using words from The Electric Company appropriately at the dinner table such as "dubious" and "fatigued". While we knew she could probably copy cat a sentence she heard, we were surprised she could also tell us the definition.
She and Ada took a tumbling class and promptly informed their teacher that the tumbling wedge was an inclined plane and made it easy to move things up and down an area- thank you Sid the Science kid.
Ada spent 15 minutes in the car the other day explaining to me that we have rubber tires and why they are so much better than the wooden wheels they used to make.
But it was after Odessa identified some Cirrus clouds while we were all driving somewhere that Stephen pounded the wheel in excitement and declared: "Our kids don't need to go to school! They learn enough from PBS kids, who needs public school?!"

6 comments:

Cara said...

I love this post! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose child is a couch potato but they do learn so much too!

Larsen said...

PBS is great. For loads of reasons. They don't pick up terrible words from PBS, that's a plus.

Paula said...

Great post! I am not longer going to feel any guilt when I put on PBS Kids for Melena!! And love Ada's hair, it's adorable!

Danielle said...

I love this post! Cracks me up. Where would we be without educational TV?? I miss PBS Kids now that we don't have any channels...well, okay, missing is relative.
Sadly I do not have kids that will sit transfixed in front of the TV for hours, though, so it never did me quite as much good. :)

Michelle M said...

This is all very cute and funny! My kids like PBS Kids, too. And yes, sometimes I allow too much TV as well. Ha ha!

alyssa said...

pbs kids or not - your kids are just darn smart! i guess we better get a tv.