Friday, January 14, 2011

Name Game

Most of you know Stephen and I are pretty tight lipped about baby names. Part of the reason being we have such a hard time deciding on a name together. My pregnancies consist of many nights like this: I lay in bed with a baby name book reading aloud names I like and Stephen responds.
"Hazel" - "No"
"Vivian" - "No"
"Adelle" - "No"
"Nola" - "No"
"Nora" - "No"
"Ada" - "hmmmmm . . . . might work"

Seriously, we usually can only agree on 2 names through this entire 9 month process . . .
So I checked out a couple of unusual baby naming books from the library and one actually walks you through these exercises of how to come up with a working list of names. Last night I was reading a section on combining parent's names or grandparent's names. This is the conversation that ensued:

Stephen: Be-phen (Stephen and Ben- our father's names)
Me: St-en!
Stephen: Lew-ben (Lewis- middle name of his father, Ben- my dad)
Me: I think most people use the parents of the BABY'S names
Stephen: Ta-phen
Me: St-ara! How about middle names? (his is Boyd and mine used to be Ann)
Stephen: B-ann
Me: Ann-oyd . . . Annoyd!!!!

This is the point where I burst into uncontrollable laughter until I started crying which was not hard considering the week I had . . . but at least the belly laugh I got helped me out of my funk.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Hilarious. Thank goodness you still have time.
Sorry it was a bad week!

Mandy said...

You guys are too funny!

Paula said...

I love this, too hilarious! Glad it was a good end to a stressful week!

Becky said...

HAHA that is hilarious. We seriously chose Audrey's name out of a hat!!!! Charles NEVER likes anything I like. And with Ethan, he thought everything I liked was too metrosexual. I gave him a list of 27 names and he could only narrow it down to one.

Alyssa said...

if only we had thought of this! (NOT)HILARIOUS! Alyff Jessa (not bad)

Adele Austin said...

So what's so bad about Adele????? (I actually wouldn't use it as a first name either!)