Saturday, January 22, 2011

Super Smoothies

So, in case someone missed it, I am doing a funny challenge to make all the recipes from the Jan/Feb issue of Everyday Foods. The main reason this challenge started was the 8 recipes for smoothies they have in there . . . I instantly said I wanted to try all 8.
After my first 2 posts about entrees I made with several substitutions/alterations my sister suggested I make this challenge about how I change recipes and if they turn out or not! Ha ha.
Since smoothies have like 4 ingredients in them, I tried my best not to alter these recipes at all. Stephen and I have started looking forward to these nightly treats. Here are the 5 we have tried so far:

Peach, Berry and Spinach

Blend 1 cup fresh or frozen peach slices, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries, 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, 1 1/2 cups white grape juice and 1/2 cup ice (if using fresh fruit). Serves 2, 160 calories

*I think this is my favorite so far, and it made enough for the girls to have some too. (this is the only smoothie I made substitutions to- I promise! I had frozen blueberries instead of blackberries and no white grape juice yet . . . because I know blackberries have more of an acid punch than blueberries, I used pineapple juice instead of white grape- turned out awesome)

Odessa loved it- and drank Ada's too

Pineapple and Ginger

Blend 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces, 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced, 1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt, 1 cup pineapple juice, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup ice. Serves 2, 156 calories

I love ginger, so I was a little disappointed in this one- it was a little runny and I didn't like the cinnamon, next time I would leave it out. It did have a nice warming effect from the spiciness of the ginger. Stephen liked it better than me . . .


Green Machine

Blend 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, 1 1/4 cups white grape juice or pear juice (I used white grape), 1/2 avocado, 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, and 1 cup ice. Serves 2, 193 calories

I was also really excited about this one! But too much apple maybe? It was really thick which I like but it also tasted a little like drinking applesauce, so I think half an apple in this one would be fabulous. This was Stephen's favorite so far . . .



Cucumber Blueberry

Blend one medium cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup white grape juice or pear juice, and 1/2 cup low fat yogurt. Serves 2, 164 calories.

I loved this one! Wouldn't change a thing . . .

Berry Orange

Blend 1 orange, peel and pith removed with a sharp knife, quartered, 1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt, 1/2 cup raspberry sorbet, and 1/2 cup 100% cranberry juice. Serves 2, 169 calories.

We both LOVED the taste of this, but a couple texture things- the membranes on the orange still are a little chunky and I blended it so long that it was pretty runny. I think next time I would blend the orange and juice together until super fine and then add the other ingredients and maybe throw in a bit of ice to thicken things up a little. Very good- what's not to love about raspberry sorbet?

Incidentally, I did find all the juices I needed in the frozen section much easier and much cheaper than in the regular juice section (that's a no brainer I guess, but I was surprised how easy it was to get 100% cran and white grape and pom there vs already made and bottled).

Ok, 3 more coming up soon! Oh, Almond Date, aren't you excited??

5 comments:

mandy* said...

Yum! Now you can open your own smoothie shack!

Brandi said...

Yum, I'll have to try these out!

Danielle said...

Well, since my kids are afraid of the blender, I'll just have to take your word on these. (Sheesh)
This sort of reminds me of the juicer-kick we went on last January/February, until I got sick of cleaning the dang thing.
You should throw a little celery into your drinks. You'd be surprised at how refreshing it is.

Michelle M said...

A smoothie with veggies (like spinach?) sound weird to me, but I guess I can't knock it til I've tried it!

Alyssa said...

ok so do you have these in a doc you can email?? sound yummy!