Wednesday, March 26, 2008

High Fliers



I think men are made with stronger upper bodies specifically so they can throw children into the air. Now that Ada also loves this game, it is a nightly occurrence and she is always begging daddy to pick her up. Less well known is the barrel throw, which is not shown here. That is Odie's favorite. A friend of mine went to a presentation about how important a dad's influence on his children is. Among other things, she shared with me that a dad teaches children more emotions than mom. I thought that was odd, no one in this house can go from happy to furious as quickly as me! I guess the speaker pointed out how moms are always trying to keep things on an even keel and dads are always mixing things up- scaring their kids, tickling them into hysterics, etc, etc. Ok, now I got it! That's why when Odessa is calmly reading a book and Stephen comes stomping into the room yelling "fee, fie, foe, fum!" and starting a chasing game, I get so annoyed! Leave her alone already, she is having a "normal" moment for once! But that is just another role of dads, wonderful dads. Our wonderful dad is in California right now on a job interview. I am a bit unsure about this town, Roseville, CA. When I found out it is a suburb city of Sacramento, I really was upset. Stephen and I made a little comparison that takes me back to ACT practice. Roseville is to Sacramento as Schuamburg is to Chicago or Meridian is to Boise. After living here, we have come to appreciate a city with culture, diversity and exciting history (although I realize that Park Ridge is just a cough away from Schaumburg- we hoped to move in a little closer to urban, not further away). Cul-de-sacs and huge strip malls is not necessarily what I want to experience next, but we'll see. They do have a WinCo grocery store and that just about makes up for any other failings. Other notable cute moments include the fact that Odessa is now calling Ada "cute baby Jeanne" I think b/c she hears us call her "Ada Bean" so much. How funny is that?

1 comment:

Danica Osborn said...

Oh my gosh, you made me laugh with all that talk of dads and their roles. So funny.

Please, no more talk of moving. I think you should stay. I'll buy you a NEW microwave if you decide to stay.