Sunday, March 16, 2008

"You bring in, I take a look"


This is one of the jewels I have found while living in Chicago. If I need something repaired, I always call the shop first to check and see if they seem competent in fixing what is wrong. We have had (among other things) our car repaired, Stephen's suits tailored and our camera fixed. Each time I have called the repair places that I have chosen, I get this reply: "you bring in, I take a look" in broken English. While at first these words made me wary, they have proven to be the key to a job well done. We have had such excellent service from each of these foreign-born repairmen. They do the job fast and above and beyond what we asked for. The prices are possibly a little high, but I honestly haven't minded afterwards when I contemplate the job well done. This last week I took the camera in that was dropped by our budding photographer, Odessa. The Korean repairman was very kind, charging me a fraction of what he should have to work 8 hrs on our camera. It, however, is not completely fixed- every time he tried to use the zoom, the camera would jam again. So, with my permission he super-glued the zoom button so we wouldn't accidentally jam it again. He says "you want close up? you walk forward" holding the camera and demonstrating. Although he wasn't able to fix it entirely, we can still use the camera without replacing the entire lens and spending 160+ dollars. Plus I got a chuckle from his reaction to me, a tall white woman toting 2 toddlers into the all-Korean office building to search out his service. He asks me as I was leaving "how you find this place anyhow?". Well, I just call around until I hear those magic words "you bring in . . ."

1 comment:

Danica Osborn said...

I need his info--one of Kevin's b-day gifts this year was that I would fix his broken watch (it's missing a couple screws), I bet he could help us out.

Looks like you guys had a fun time downtown. We've never done the St. Patty's celebration thing, we've got to do that next year.

Did you track down a microwave yet? My mom's got a beastly one (it's pretty big, and definitely not new) that just sits downstairs. If you still need one, let me know and you can have that one!