Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fairs

Well, we headed on down to the Puyallup Fair- I think safe to say the biggest fair in Western Washington, not sure about the East. Speaking of, once you get a little ways outside of Seattle, it's a whole different world out there. The towns remind me a lot of small towns in Idaho (duh) I am just surprised by them because Seattle seems like such a big city. The contrast is quick and sharp.

Anyway, it's funny to see how things change when you have kids. Exactly 6 years ago, Stephen and I were going to our first Fair together- the Western Idaho Fair in Boise. He hadn't gone much as a kid, whereas I was big into 4-H growing up and then raised 4-H lambs for 5 years and practically lived at the Fair for a week taking care of them, competing and stuff. We had so much fun that summer, I loved showing him around, looking at every exhibit, checking out all the animals, sampling endless varieties of Fair food.

Fast forward 6 years-a very different picture. Now we have 2 toddlers who both have opinions and needs and are both mobile. The big attraction was the animals and we were constantly fighting with them about petting them (since there is a sign on every pen warning you not to- that your fingers look like carrots. Ada didn't get the concept of "baby carrots"). Yes, we finally found the actual petting zoo. Instead of sampling several foods, we had to opt for the kid friendly corn dog eaten in a rush all together. Instead of pounding through the Expo building and seeing every 4-H and open class exhibit, I had to satisfy myself on a meandering stroll though one aisle and a quick peak at the art and photography. Even last year, at the Wisconsin State Fair in Milwaukee we had more "control". Ada was a compliant baby who just had to be nursed. No problem for her that it had to be in the cool of the Expo building behind the Potowanamee bingo set-up (that was my problem). So, life is all about giving and recieving. Stephen is much better at the giving than I. He's learned that if you give a child all the time they want to look at something instead of rushing them through on your agenda, she will be more cooperative and willing to give you time too (translate: fewer meltdowns in the end). Odessa got her 2 carousel rides, we all got to watch the horsemanship competition a little and I did get my coveted kettle corn.

When we were in the cattle barns, someone asked a girl with steers where she was from. When she said "Forks", I sucked in a deep breath like I'd been hit, elbowed Stephen and hissed "she's from FORKS". I wanted to talk to her about the town, but felt so silly that I was so awed by someone actually from Forks, I just shuffled past her. So, this reaction worries me slightly. Am I a "Twi-hard" a "Twilighter"? Earlier this week, I got sucked into the Stephenie Meyer posted copy of "Midnight Sun" and although I whole-heartedly think she is not the best writer, she has a way of pulling you into her characters by writing well about their emotions (an opinion gleaned from my more astute sister). After reading sometimes, I feel like I just woke up and am having a hard time sorting out what is reality and what is not. That sounds powerful, but I am easily swayed I guess. Living "so close" to Forks makes it tempting to drive out there some weekend and check it out, but deep down, I am not sure I want to be dissapointed by the reality of the town. Oh crap, I AM a Twilighter!
Stephen's birthday was a little low key. Saved perhaps by the surprise babysitters and movie night out and the new suit he got with his mom and dad's gift certificate. Next year he will turn 30 on 09/09/09. How cool is that? My sister said the Chinese are really into the numbers thing, like they loved that the Olympics started on 08/08/08. Gather, my Chinese friends, we will party in 09.

7 comments:

Corey said...

We are headed to the Puyallup Fair on Thursday. I'm sure our experience will be much like yours. Last year was so much easier for us as well since Hyrum was still keen on sitting in a stroller and Jonah just slept the whole time in the Baby Bjorn. But I think they will have a great time running around as well. We are going with their triplet cousins, so that will be an experience!

I didn't realize Stephen's Birthday was on 9/9. That's my older brother's Birthday as well. Too cool! Jonah celebrated his first on 8/8/08. What fun birthdays to have!

Danica Osborn said...

i went to my first fair earlier this spring with kevin's family--they couldn't believe i'd never been to one. quite the adventure. his family's obsesse with funnel cake. :)

i wouldn't want to go to forks either, because there wouldn't be any of the magic that the book creates and i'm sure i'd be disappointed. i'm actually kind of scared to see the movie b/c it'll never be as good as the books were and the characters will be forever tarnished...anyway, we can be twilighters together. [insert me holding an "L" up to my forehead here.] :)

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i can just picture it now... you and stephen holding hands 6 years ago strolling through the boise fair... stephen with his middle parted hair and you gazing in his eyes!!! love it!!!!! (you said you love that you can tease me i am allowed to tease back, right? ) :)


so, is odessa having to fight for her crown now that ada is getting bigger???

Tara H said...

actually nic, he was lean and mean from coaching cross country kids - ack, i never showed you that buff picture of him- i'll have to bring it to chi-town. unfortunately for him, i convinced him to let me cut his hair myself that summer so it was short and spiky. hee hee

Ada is getting a sass that is all her own. what a crack up.

you didn't comment on the fact that i am a twilight freak!

Danica Osborn said...

hey can i have beth's email address? she commented on my blog and i want to respond, but i can't track her info down. does she have a blog?

glad to hear that the "N" word is normal...of course i mean "no" and not some racial slur...

The Marshall Family said...

I love the fair too, but like your experience, it was a little "different" with a two year old who had his own agenda!!

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

I think the term is "twerd" :0) haha