Sunday, September 7, 2008

That Wonderland- IKEA

So last night was our first trip to an IKEA. Amazing, considering we have been married for 4 years and have been buying only used and cheap furniture those entire 4 years. I guess because it seemed that everyone was buying it, so I was stubborn and wouldn't get interested. Well, we have several furniture needs, so Stephen finally showed me online how cheap their furniture was and was so gung-ho about getting something THIS WEEKEND that we hopped in the car and drove to Renton.
The many, huge parking garages were our first impression of the "compound". Stephen wanted to take the girls in the stroller, knowing intuitively this was going to be a long shopping trip. He marvelled at the "families only" parking complete with signs of strollers and a walkway as only a transportation planner would marvel. As we fell into line with the streams of people headed towards what we assumed was the store we remarked how the atmosphere was a little like Disneyland, so enormous, so organized. "Do you think there will be long, roped lines to see things?" Stephen joked.
My first reaction to the store was "Arrrghhhh". Huge showrooms full of furniture, making it hard to single out the one piece you were looking for. They were all very pretty and alluring, making you wish you could just take the whole room home (isn't that the point?). Finally we made it to the areas where most of the nightstands were grouped together, the bookcases, etc. This, I could do. After much debate, 2 shoes thrown out of the stroller and a sock, 2 whining kids and one escapee, we made our decision. Ada was now darting into the aisles, terrorizing people with her chubby ankles and shoeless feet. I took the kids towards the entrance while Stephen picked up our jig-saw boxes 'o furniture.
The kids saw the playland and stood with their noses pressed up against the glass, gazing at the massive blue ball room. The kids playing inside mercilessly pelted them both with balls, hitting the glass where they stood. I have never seen anything so pathetic. I gathered them up to go see if they could get in and play. Alas, you have to be 3 and potty trained to play in their wonderland of fun. I tried to explain this to Odessa, feeling she did not understand. We went back to sit and she stood on the bench, gazing hungrily at the ball room and said "I done being 2, I get 3 now." She proceeded to try and convince me that she was all done with being 2 and now it was time to turn 3 and play on the ball room.
I distracted them with the food area. We got an ice cream cone, cinnamon roll and Swedish meatballs. Well rounded meal- ha!- but all so cheap! We finished waiting for Stephen while I marveled at such a place. Where else can you get 5 meatballs for a $1 and a hide-a-bed sofa in the same place?
Once our boxes o'furniture fit in our car, we were completely satisfied with the experience. I still think the place is a bit ridiculous, but I love it all the same just as I love all warehouse stores where I can get a bargain. As we drove home, I made a deal with Odessa: once she is going potty all the time in the toilet and wearing big girl undies, we'll go back just so she can play in the big blue ball room. She was so thrilled, I actually think this may work. She came and got me this morning, so far, so good.
Speaking of warehouses, this week I finally made the trek to the nearest WinCo Foods. I was giddy. You should see the bulk section. You should see how wide the aisles are. You should see how many other people have kids and how one person actually picked up something Ada threw from the cart and handed it to me with a smile. It probably took me 2 gallons of gas max to get there and I spent no more than 2.48 per pound on 3 different meats! Everything was cheaper, the selection was awesome, I am so happy. You have to understand- cooking is my favorite part of being a mom and wife and WinCo is my all time favorite grocery store. It doesn't help that you have great memories shopping there as a tike with your mommy and then worked for the store as well when you got older- I feel like I am still vested in the company or something.
This week is Stephen's birthday, so it will be fun. I made homemade cupcakes tonight which Odessa COULD NOT wait for. When we were finally enjoying them, frosted with sprinkles and all, I remarked something to Stephen about freezing some for his birthday if he liked them enough. Odessa interrupts to say to me "oh, don't worry about my birthday mommy, it's perfect" as she took a big lick of her frosting. Talk about giggle fit!

5 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

we'll be venturing there soon too, so thanks for the heads up. maybe i'll see if we can leave claire behind...we're going to be looking more for decor stuff, thing they're a good place to go?

Unknown said...

I love IKEA. My favorite store, but I've also felt the disappointment of a potty-trained only room. We usually end up going to the kids area and let the girls terrorize things over there.

Anonymous said...

good luck putting all that ikea stuff together! It's curse-fest 2008 when that happens at our house.

Kate Otterstrom said...

I'm so glad that you guys cut your teeth on IKEA. It is quite a place. I love there and could probably spend A LOT of time browsing, except for the fact that I almost always go with Karl and his primary objective is to enter and exit quickly enough to avoid implosion (of himself, not IKEA). He has all the short-cuts figured out and is not afraid to use them.

The Marshall Family said...

I have only been to IKEA once... and I was overwhelmed too. I would like to go back (kidless) sometime.