Monday, September 22, 2008

"How 'bout them Broncos?!!"

This was how my sister answered the phone when I called her after Saturday's game. The Boise State Broncos played University of Oregon in Eugene, OR on Saturday. We are both sincere Bronco fans. My father has worked for BSU since before I was born, so I have always been and always will be a Bronco. Stephen can actually claim alumni status, so of course he is a Bronco. Plus Boise is our hometown and they have a great, underdog team that beats some pretty good big teams. (May I refer you to the Fiesta Bowl of 2007?)
Since we ONLY live 4 1/2 hrs from Eugene AND my cousin Sarah and her family just moved there from Racine, WI (where we used to visit them regularly) we decided to take a road trip down to Oregon. We opted out of getting tickets since they were pretty pricey and decided to watch the game on a big screen at a local sports bar/restaurant. Good plan: watch the game decked out in BSU paraphernalia sitting amongst U of O fans and give them all alcohol.

But the dirty looks and tension in the air was worth it because we WON. Oregon is ranked 17th- we are not even ranked. They were heavily favored to win. We stopped their attempt to make a 2 point conversion early in the game and it was like "ha! don't assume you can push us around because you're supposed to be so good". Things got progressively worse for Oregon. We passed the ball time after time, sinking long passes and making touch downs. This is our FRESHMAN quarterback, ha! At half time we had an 18 point lead and the announcers were saying things like "I have never felt the way I feel right now in this stadium" and "Oregon has never had such a deficit of points to make up before". Ha! Oregon came back (mostly in the 4th quarter) and played well. But it was too little, too late. It was as if we had poked the giant and he had slept in for another 2 quarters before finally waking up. What fun, what a ruse. It was SO WORTH the road trip.
Plus we got to see my cousin and their new house. We took the girls to a farm and petting zoo in the morning and they had such a blast. Stephen decided that someday he wants a little orchard farm. If I had a dollar for every hypothetical job change he makes . . .
Alas, still no pictures because we still don't have a camera- ack! What a fun weekend.

4 comments:

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Wahoo! I'm so glad you had a good time and that your team won! Makes it even better. We were cheering for the Broncos too!

The Marshall Family said...

Mike was going CRAZY watching the game!!! I had more fun watching him, I think. It was a good game.

Tara H said...

Stephen kept trying to go crazy and I would kick him under the table. We were surrounded by Ducks!! It made it sweet to see how disgusted they were by their team, but would have been more fun to be in a bar full of Broncos I think : )

Corey said...

I didn't know you were such a football fan! I guess it's even better when you are cheering on your home team.