Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shall we do warm and fuzzy?

It's a nice day for warm and fuzzy. Seattle is gray and a little cooler. That means only half the people at Green Lake and the great greenbelt that wraps around it, so I don't mind much. Plus I got myself some luscious sheepskin slippers at the Fair last weekend, so bring on the cold weather, I'll be ready. The girl's both have raincoats coming over e-bay. Thrift shopping online, my next step up the food chain.
The warm and fuzzy however refers to the fact that it's Stephen and I's 4th anniversary today. I love seeing everyone's old wedding photos, so I will post a few of those. It's fun to have so many other young couples in the ward. For some reason, references to our wedding days and receptions keep coming up. I find it slightly amusing and slightly depressing that no one yet has been perfectly satisfied with their reception or something about their wedding day went amiss. Result of too many expectations produced by movies like My Best Friends Wedding and other silly movies I guess. Oh, I am one of them, no doubt about that. But I had a perfectly delightful day and really shouldn't covet any other type of embellishments to it.
Last night Stephen and I got to go to the Seattle LDS temple and act as representatives for people who had passed away. In their names, we were sealed (or married) to each other- for 5 different couples. As these people are deceased, we believe they still have their free will to accept this sacred ordinance or not. It was wonderful to kneel and hold hands across an alter. A mirror hangs on the wall behind each person, and the reflections go on . . . forever. That is to represent the eternal aspect of this sealing. I think 4 years have increased my understanding of the importance of this ordinance. It's also increased my appreciation for Stephen a great deal. The day I was married I thought I was a pretty lucky girl, but now I KNOW how lucky I really am! Stephen has learned that my mom wasn't kidding when she warned him upon our engagement: "you've got a tiger by the tail". I'm lucky he still likes tigers.
So just because I didn't have the huge white tent I had wished for or the grand dance floor, I did have a beautiful sunset, Italian arias and the always unique wedding-party-city-bus-ride to the luncheon. Here's to a lot more years learning how lucky we really are!

6 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i love the sunset one... i also believe i fall into the reception anst category however, i agree... none of that crap matters in the end... just that both our husbands have the tigers by their tails still... :)

Kate Otterstrom said...

You looked absolutely beautiful on your wedding day! I loved seeing your pictures. I'll have to tell Karl to look at the bus pictures--he thinks that you're really cool for agreeing to take the bus in your wedding dress!

Corey said...

What a beautiful sunset! I love the bus trip too! What a fun thing to do and great story to tell. You kids looked so darn cute! ;)

Danica Osborn said...

not to be too "GO ME!" but i've got to admit, that i had the perfect wedding day. the day before was insane with lots of problems and frustrations, but the actual wedding and reception were PERFECT. kevin and i still bring up how we would not have changed a thing...well, maybe i'd have eaten more of the amazing food and chocolate fountain...but otherwise, everything down to the "little bit cloudy so that kevin coud have his eyes open in pictures" worked out. my mom's to thank for everything going off without a hitch--i think b/c she knew she'd only be doing it once, since i'm the only girl, she wanted to be sure it was done right. anyway, not to be arrogant, or come off like a snob, i just wanted to point out that not EVERYONE has gripes or regrets or whatever.

the pics are beautiful though. that sunset one is amazing. early fall's a nice time to get married. hope you have a grrrrrr-eat! anniversary (get it? tony the TIGER!:) i'm so hysterically lame.)

Anonymous said...

aw that is so sweet. i wish amby and i had something in our lives with the kneeling and the eternalness! you looked so happy and lovely on your big day. Happy anniversary!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

I am so intrigued by this bus thing. Next time I see you I'm gonna have to get the scoop. Also, love the sunset pic!