Monday, November 24, 2008

6 words or more

Ada and Odessa had their check-ups last week. I thought it was a good idea to do their 18 month and 3yr check ups together to get them over with. Ha ha. 2 naked toddlers crawling ALL OVER EVERYTHING. Odessa kept trying to get the blood pressure cuff off the wall, they switched the light on and off, stole the Dr's stethoscope. Every time they would crawl onto the exam table and then get precariously close to the edge, a nurse or Dr would freak out. I was thinking "they've fallen off worse" and "well, if we hadn't waited over 30 minutes in your waiting room, they wouldn't be quite this bad". Meanwhile, I felt like I was juggling, snatching one of them away from something and trying to keep the other from jumping off the exam table. All the while trying to carry on a conversation with the Dr. "Well Doc, as you can see, they are very active". When he got to Ada, he asked me if she was saying many words: "Oh yes." "More than six?" Me: "this morning she said 'fall down- ground'" Doc: "Oh, so stringing a few words together, that's good." It's funny with our second child. With Odessa I was eagerly anticipating every little milestone. With Ada I am just surprised when she starts to crawl, walk, talk.
With Odessa, I had her on a strict feeding schedule. With Ada I would feed her just to have a break- no rhyme or reason. With Odessa we taught her sign language so to avoid the frustration of toddler speak and not understanding one another. With Ada we were just pleasantly surprised she picked up some words. The difference is hilarious to me.
Yesterday on the stage at church (our secret napping place). She was playing with a ball someone left. I bounced it for her and it rolled away. She said "hey, why do that?" and then pointing, "get it!"
I thought, "Yah Doc, she is saying more than 6 words!" And picking up her sisters sassiness too- is that a milestone? What a "fun" few years I am in for.

1 comment:

Corey said...

Your girls are so cute! I love the photo of Ada in Jonah's little bug PJs. I can totally relate to your exam room experience! UGH! The doctor's office can be such a nightmare with toddlers, you think they would be a little faster or just let you wait in the waiting room longer if they new that they were running late. Those exams rooms and just way too small and have too many things that the kids can get into. AHHH! I agree as well with the milestones of the second child. Poor thing! I always feel sorry for Jonah since Hyrum takes up the spotlight so much. I think all of their early milestone breaking is their way of getting our attention too. Ada it such a sweetie when she talks. I loved watching her the other day, it was so much fun hearing what she had to say since Jonah isn't stringing words together yet. The boys were very tender with her too, which was sooo sweet. :)