Monday, November 3, 2008

Am I stupid?

This weekend was fun, but also significant. I just realized the real meaning of the saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too". Can you believe that? There are only so many years I can blame blondness and pregnant brain for not figuring this out. We came home from the grocery store late and the girls wanted a banana- we had just bought them. They each ate a whole one! I complained to Stephen that I had just bought them and they depleted our stores by half (thank goodness I bought some green ones too). He says to me "you can't have your bananas and eat them too". And it finally clicked with me- what a geek.
Halloween, Halloween, my second favorite holiday, Halloween. The girls "got" trick or treating- this is actually the first year we have taken them. Odessa would say "can we go to another house please?" after each door. Ada cut with the chatter and just bolted for the next lawn. At the door, Odessa would always blurt "Happy Halloween!" instead of "trick or treat". It was so funny.
We also went to a fun party hosted by our friends the Andersons. I finally got my box of Halloween costumes from my parent's garage this year, and by putting together some other old costumes, I came up with Elphaba from Wicked- aka the Wicked Witch of the West.
The girls were Clifford the big red dog and Emily Elizabeth. Once Odessa saw me in green, she just wanted to be a witch too. I think I will need to be really flexible next year! We have to come up with something else for poor Stephen. He has been Thomas for like 4 years.
I decided that just like seeing snow covering everything makes the cold weather worth it, seeing golden and red leaves makes the rainy cool weather worth it too. Something about those 2 natural beauties that makes me happy all over- like my soul is smiling. Here is the view from our windows.

5 comments:

Kim Dewey said...

What a view! The thing I miss most about a cooler climate is fall. I love the colorful trees.
Cute costumes. I think you should consider growing your hair out and dying it black --- it suits you!

Corey said...

Great costumes! I'm glad your girls had a fun time and understood the concept of trick-or-treating. How are they holding up on the candy department? Or have you traded it in for something more healthy? Somehow Hyrum and Jonah's candy has been disappearing and they've only had like one lollipop each. Hmmmmm! Taxes were high this year!

Anonymous said...

wow. you are probably the prettiest witch ever! I loved Wicked!

Lindsey said...

I love the costumes. I am so glad you found me! Your family is darling. I look forward to peeking into your life now!

Britanie said...

Tara-
You don't know me, I went to high school with Stephen, but I read one of your older posts at grocery shopping and I have a method I wanted to share with you, it has honestly made me like to grocery shop and meal plan, I posted it on my blog here: http://flightmitchell.blogspot.com/2008/07/for-love-of-food.html if you're all at curious let me know. BTW-you have two adorable little girls!