Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feng Shui Veterans Day and Two Worlds Collided

Stephen had Veterans Day off. Occasionally he gets in these moods where he wants to rearrange all the furniture or organize a closet or something. I love that I don't have to do this. Three years living away in college, I think I kept my furniture in same place the whole time. He always seems to find more space somewhere when he does this. I am so glad the bedroom is all put together and that he found a space for my favorite old ratty recliner. It's the one I sleep in when I'm pregnant! No, I am NOT pregnant. Yes Gina, we still have it, and yes, Bri, we find a place for your curtains in every place we live- usually in our bedroom because they are so beautiful!
Another thing that I wanted to (journal) write about. When Odessa and I were in the ER, I had a strange experience. I used to work in a hospital, and the medical part of dietetics was always the most interesting to me. I really enjoyed working behind the scenes, reading the charts, trying to get the Dr's to go with my diet recommendations and working with the nurses (they are really the ones doing all the work). It's a completely different part of my life and feels a million miles away right now. But sitting in our room, I had a clear shot of the nurses station and I could pretty much guess what the mood was and what they might be talking about. I understood the schedule written out on the white board, and I really missed the familiarness of all of it- a lot. Here I was, having a very intense "Mom" moment taking care of Odessa and a very intense pull towards my "other life". They have never been flush-up next to each other like that before. I am glad I stay at home with my kids for now, but I think this experience showed me that I might actually like to go back to clinical dietetics someday as well. I used to think I would never go back to a hospital. Something to think about in the future!

4 comments:

Kim Dewey said...

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven.

Isn't it funny how foreign motherhood is when you are in your profession, and how foreign your profession is when you are a mother? Those hormones have some pretty serious effects on our brains!

Corey said...

I agree with Kim. For those the try to do it all at the same time, it's just too overwhelming. How nice to be able to do one thing at a time even though at times we'd like to be doing both. It's great though that you have a profession to go back to that you are really interested in. Keep up on the Continuing Education classes and I'm sure it'll be easier to step back into it when you need to. Funny how the word verification below is having me type "TRIAL" is this fitting or what?

Miss Stace said...

Hi! I found your blog of Nicole's. :) Becky has a blog on mine - under the Cole family...you should look it up.

Becky said...

Hi! I wrote this on your Facebook thing (I am new to facebook) but I am a Registered Dietitan too! I need to go to the ADA conference. Maybe next year. My five years was up last year and I haven't filled out my new learning plan thing yet. I figure I still have 5 years to do it! Anyway, I'd love to get together when we are feeling better!