Saturday, November 22, 2008

Flippitybidgitty

The girls are playing a new game called "stop and go" or "freeze and ice melt". They LOVE this. They can call out "stop" (or "sop" as Ada says) or "freeze"and mom or dad will freeze. Then they get to wiggle with delight as they observe us obeying their commands instead of vice-versa for once. Ada is especially good at drawing out your frozen agony and waits forever to say "go" (Odessa prefers "ice melt"). They do this at dinner and somehow it gets them to eat more than usual because they stay at the table longer to play the game! It is so funny to watch Ada's sly grin while she makes you wait for your "go" command.
Feeling very proud of myself. I took the bus both today and yesterday. What a planners wife I am. It really is so simple, what's the big deal ; )? If you were here, you could witness Stephen's dramatic roll of the eyes- I have been such a stinker about public transportation. Key point: I have been ALONE on these 2 bus trips- no kids.
Today I went to a downtown grocery store to observe/help sample out a new nutrition bar: Zing. I am going to be helping this company sample their product occasionally nights and weekends at some local grocery stores. Three Dietitians from Bastyr developed the bar since there was not a bar on the market they could recommend to their clients. Hands down, this is an amazing bar. I can't pick out one thing wrong with it except my friend with an all-nuts allergy can't eat them. I am super excited to work with them and save up some money to become my own consultant as soon as I can.
Last night I took the bus downtown to meet a group of gals to see the Twilight movie. During the movie, I kept looking at the girl to my left, then my right, gauging their reactions. I was amongst "non-talkers" for this movie. When the lights came up and the credits rolled, one said "what did you think?" to the two of us. The gal on my right leaned forward out of her chair "I hated it". And I sighed a great big sigh of relief. Ok, I did not hate all parts of this movie. It had its good moments. I have been analyzing why it was so bad for me. I have loved b-rated movies in the past, why not this one? The books, of course. When you read the books, you can flesh out the scenes and characters with your imagination. Even though I am drawn to them, I have always said the books are not the best. However, the characters are well written, especially their emotions. Of course no one in a movie could replicate what you imagine. I felt the alterations to the plot were poor and a lot of the acting left much to be desired. Even some of the special effects . . . .well- I could go on and on. I guess I have finally grown up and seen a few good films and good art. You recognize poorer versions for what they really are. And maybe the books are b-rated too . . .
Anyway, all this and I woke up this morning and thought "hey, I want to see that again". Mostly to try and view it from the perspective as if I hadn't read the book and wasn't comparing every line and scene to those that were written. That's how they will make their millions I guess. However, we'll be waiting until it comes to Netflix if we see it at all . . .

5 comments:

Kim Dewey said...

I'm intrigued. I ate nutrition bars and shakes all through school to supplement my poor eating habits. Now that I'm a mom...well my eating habits haven't changed. So how do I find these nutrition bars to try them? I want to know all about your new venture.

Corey said...

Mmmm, the bar sound great! I'm ready to try one, where are the free samples! :)

Tara H said...

Kim, click on the Zing word in my post and you should be able to order from their website. Warning- they are not cheap- they hope to drop the price once their product takes off better. I may be selling some wholesale and will send you some if I buy some! They are coming out with 2 new flavors early next year (my favorite is Blueberry almond although how could you not love that they use organic dark chocolate in their peanut butter choc bar?) Corey- I will alert you to any free sample gigs I do ; )! Look for them at PCC, Ballard Market, even the Central Markets in Poulsbo and maybe Bainbridge??

Anonymous said...

nooooooooo! I can't stand hearing that the movie is no good. On the other hand, if they don't capture the teen angst/chemistry between Bella and Edward then bah! bah!! I want to see it...but I kind of don't because I really liked the book.

Minh-Hai said...

Hi Kim, we're so happy to have you on the Zing team!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled w/ gratitude and laughter!

Minh-Hai
www.zingbars.com