Sunday, October 11, 2009

Odessa (and Ada) isms



Odessa learned all about signs from Curious George. She makes "no dinosaurs allowed" signs to go on all our doors (good thing too). She loudly announces that no dogs are allowed in the stores we go to when she sees the signs and asks about any red circle with a line through it that she doesn't recognize.

Odessa frequently asks to play on the computer when I am emailing or doing some other "important" stuff. I sometimes use the fact that I am using it to encourage other activities besides "media time". After one such incident, I came into the room and she showed me some pictures she had been working on post it notes.

Odessa: See this? (Sticking her note on the computer). It means: "moms aren't allowed to use the computer so much".

Me: I see.

Odessa: See this? (sticking the next picture on the computer). This means: "little girls are allowed to use the computer whenever they want to."
(I'm the figure on the left with a line through me)

The other day Stephen was in the shower and Odessa had to use the bathroom. She went in and "Dad" asked her to turn on the ceiling fan. It's a little tough to crank on, so we were both surprised she got it by herself. When Stephen thanked her, she replied "if you need anything else, just let me know!" She also explained to him the other day "Dad, if you have any kind of troubles, you can count on me. And if I have troubles, I can count on you!" We have no idea where she heard these sayings.

Odessa got in trouble for putting stickers on the sofa- it leaves marks. A few days later, Ada did the same thing. She also got in trouble and sent to her room for time out (wailing quite loudly). I went to get her a few minutes later.

Me: Do you know why you are in time out?
Ada: (still wailing) 'cause I put stickers on the co---ou---ch.
Me: Remember when Odessa got in trouble for putting stickers on the couch?
Ada: uh---huuh!
Me: Then why did you do it?
Ada: (wailing) 'cause I a ge-ge-nius!

I asked Odessa the other day what she wanted for her birthday.

Odessa: I want a horse cake.
Me: Ok, but what would you like for a present?
Odessa: A new camera that works (her old one takes terrible pictures and the batteries are always dead).
Me: Well, those are pretty expensive.
Odessa: Well Mom, I'm an expensive kind of girl!

9 comments:

Cara said...

Cute! Watch out for the teenage years if she's expensive now. :)

Anonymous said...

I would say a chip off the old block. Mom:)

mandy* said...

Odessa is my kind of girl! I'm an expensive kind of girl, too!

Becky said...

it all makes sense to little kids right. Life is just so much simpler when you are that age. So funny!

Paula said...

Priceless!

Tara H said...

hey Becky, is your blog invite only? add me pretty please? : )
tara.hunt39@yahoo.com

bosslady said...

Hillarious! Thanks for the laughs!

Michelle M said...

I LOVE her computer signs. Dayton just started playing computer games a few weeks ago, and now he ONLY wants to play when I'm trying to get something done on the computer. Any other time, he's fine without it. Argh!

Debbie and Boys said...

Oh dear, you are going to have your hands full with these two and their quick-witt....oh dear... :)