Sunday, October 4, 2009

Crossroads

I feel like change is coming, but maybe that's just because things have been the same for awhile. I also felt like I was going to win some major prize and that never happened, so I wouldn't put too much into my premonitions. Upheaval seems to be par for the course, maybe I just get restless after awhile.
This week we've dabbled with the idea of entering the housing market (the upheaval issue came before this). Not really looking to move again(!!), but when an opportunity shoves itself into your face, it's hard to keep looking away.
It's the perfect storm of circumstances, but we are cautionary people at best and so this risk will likely pass us by.
What are you willing to sacrifice? These are questions that come up in the housing market. You might sacrifice your cushy budget, the location, the size, the layout or condition. You have to pick and choose what's most important to you, and this has prompted many lengthy midnight discussions and more than one anxious mood on my part. Many couples we know trade living in the city to get a much bigger, more affordable house in the suburbs. It's a weighing game that's constantly shifting and it's hard to decide which side of the fence we want to be on.

8 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

good luck guys... there is always a tradeoff and whatever you choose, you will always see what you are missing out on with the other option... are their rent to own options??? best way to "test drive"

Beth said...

Yes, Tara, I laughed too when I saw your title--crossroads!

Becky said...

Good luck with your decision...it's a tough one. Both options have pros and cons. We gave up sidewalks, the ability to walk places (post office, library, grocery store, etc). After we bought our house I remember having a serious case of buyer's remorse, worry, excitement, everything. But, 5 years later, I love my 1970's rambler ha ha! Moving to the eastside sounds good, no??!!

erin said...

Just don't buy a condo. And if you do buy a condo, don't buy new construction. Make sure the condo board is solvent. And make sure you're not buying into an association with criminally stupid people or criminals, like Ambrose and I did. So far it has been our number one worst mistake ever to buy that second condo and those people have brought nothing but poison to our lives and to our marriage.

But good luck! haha. After that story, you'll need it. ;)

Steve and Nancy said...

I'll tell you what I told Beth: Make it a matter of prayer(We are praying for you.) Get all the information you can. Trust your own judgement and inspiration and make a decision. Live with the decision for a day or two and see how it feels - then go forward with it or adjust. All this advice from the great decision maker - me. Nevertheless, I think it is good advice. We love you. Mom Hunt

Cara said...

Good luck. Big decisions are always kind of scary. I have often been frustrated that we bought our house since it has been so much work and not even worth what we owe on it anymore. But then I remember that I followed a prompting when purchasing it and I can just have faith that things will work out. So I second the previous comment to take it to the Lord and you can't go wrong.

Dad Hunt said...

Thirty some years ago we bought our home here in Boise. We looked at many, some we liked, some we loved, some we hated. We then drove into the driveway of the home we bought and sitting in the car we looked at one another and both said this is the house. We then got out of the car and went inside, we hated it, the carpet was awfull, the paint and wallpaper was hidious, it was small and cramped it was unfinished but it was affordable. We thought we will start here and move as soon as we can. We tried to move many times even making offers on other homes but we always pulled out, it just didn't feel right. We are still here and this is where we were supose to be. We had help that we couldn't see but we felt it. Our family grew up here and they and we have been blest for this little house that we hated. We actually sort of like it now although it looks nothing like it did all those years ago. We worried and had diarrhea and sleeples nights right after making the choice but it was right and we made it be the best choice. Good luck. You'll do fine, and I would love to come and build a deck. Love Dad

Danielle said...

If you need advice on the suburbs, I grew up here and have the inside scoop. :) However, there is a reason I chose to live in the city as a "grown-up".