Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stir Crazy

We've been passing around a cold here. Funny, since it's more flu season and we are battling this nasty head cold. Ada got it first and still has it poor thing. She and Stephen went home from church and then Stephen stayed home yesterday from work. This is always a risky proposition. Someone who is too sick to go to work, but not sick enough to want to stay in bed all day. Stephen loves spending time with the girls and I often think he would be a better stay at home "mom" than me because he seems to have more patience and he's WAY more creative and puts more effort into their daily activities. (Case in point: Saturday I worked a Zing booth at an Aids Walk and he took the girls on a ferry to Vashon Island to help clean up at a Church owned recreation property.) But he goes crazy if he's in the house more than 3 hours in a row. I, on the other hand, spent several days last winter with 2 napping children and never left the house all day except to take out the garbage. This amazed Stephen. So there were several instances in the last 2 days that he just up and said "ok, we're going for a walk". He also got busy doing all the little phone and paper trail projects we've been needing to do for a month. He's gotta be busy!

Just some recent pics and stories about the girls:Odessa found her mittens the other day when it was still 80 degrees out. She insisted on wearing them to the park so her hands wouldn't get dirty. She got outside and changed her mind. I was kind of looking forward to the park scene myself.
This story is a repeat for my poor family, so you may want to skip this one. A very well respected older woman in our church was making some sort of presentation to the primary children. She asked for questions and Odessa raised her hand and asked "are you old?". I heard about the laugh it gave everybody from several sources.
This same woman offered me some leftover frozen foods she had bought for her grandchildren when they were visiting. When she came to drop them off last week, she asked Odessa her name then said "You'll have to forgive me for forgetting you name, I am getting old." And Odessa replied "Sometimes old people die". Is that just great or what?? Surprisingly, this woman still wants to have us over for dinner sometime. Is she curious to see how Odessa can insult her age again?I never taught her how to make a rainbow, so I was surprised when she pulled these out
They were being so quiet in the tub, so I went to investigate
To celebrate the end of stir crazy day I made a Chinese feast: pot stickers, cashew chicken, stir fried green beans and broccoli with oyster sauce (found in this month's Everyday Food). Stephen walked down to the teriyaki place with a dollar to get some chopsticks. They waved his dollar off with a laugh and gave us some. Good thing since it just wouldn't taste the same off a fork. Stephen admitted at the end of the meal that he couldn't taste much of it. Great. In typical fashion, it took way longer than planned and I made a HUGE mess of the kitchen. Happy chef it's all over- Ada as photographer.

8 comments:

Kim Dewey said...

Those bath photos are adorable!
And that apron . . . you are your mother!

Beth said...

Another evening you make dinner look so appealing at your house! Hope he's feeling better.

Potstickers sound good! Is that from a friend in Chicago, or is it Everyday food as well? Please send to me or tell me where to find it.

Steve and Nancy said...

I made that very same menu (out of Everyday Foods) for Errol and Terese and their son Scott, who was visiting for Kerri's wedding. They loved it! I was grateful since Terese is pretty hard to impress and Scott lives in Korea. I thought the pot stickers were fun and easy. I will serve that menu again. Thanks for introducing me to the Everyday Foods magazine. Terese looked at it and took a subscription card home with her.

Tara H said...

oh beth, did you recognize your tongs sticking out of the green beans?? the pot stickers recipe is out of everyday food too! just make sure you use a non stick pan : ( All that work and I made a mess of them. Yes, Irene showed us how too.

erin said...

Why am I not married to you? There is no way in heck either Amby or I could or would ever make a chinese feast at the end of a lazy day. Good job. Looks yummy!

Ericka said...

I love the "old" comments...I laughed out loud when I read she had said that sometimes old people die! Too funny!

Becky said...

Hilarious comments from your daughter! You'll be glad you wrote these all down here so you can look back and laugh.

Danica Osborn said...

what a great post! not even sure what part was my favorite--just such a nice snap shot at the day in the life! :)

odessa's comments are hilarious though--you can tell that lady's a g-ma to tolerate such comments. and kevin goes stir crazy too, where i'm like you and perfectly content to not leave the house for days. much to kev's appreciation i still get ready even on those days...though i'm really not sure why. ha ha

glad to see you're doing well. dinner sounds de-lish!