Friday, November 20, 2009

No Kleenex in bed

Last night Ada had a hard time going to sleep (and I was at the store). She called for a Kleenex 40 minutes after she should have been asleep. Stephen brought her one. Forty five minutes later she called from the bedroom again:

Ada: Da-ad. I can't breathe, there's Kleenex in my nose.

At this point, I walk in as Stephen is taking her to the bathroom to investigate. I hold her head back while he gets the tweezers. With some breakage and multiple tries, the first wad comes out. There is another one. "Ada" we both breathe out. Stephen works carefully pulling the 2nd wad out, but there is a third behind it. "ADA!" we both mutter. How far back can tweezers go? Not that far. We sit her up and try and get her to blow it out. "See? huffffmmmphhh" we keep repeating over and over, demonstrating how to blow air through our noses (looking quite like elephants I am sure). Finally I pinch one nostril closed and she somehow dislodges the remaining wad.
I just read an article earlier this week about kids swallowing things, putting them in their nostrils, ears. NEVER say to yourself after reading such an article "boy, am I glad my kids don't do that!" You are just asking for it.

7 comments:

mandy* said...

That is crazy!!!! My nephew once swallowed coins that my mom gave him. It was drama. I'm glad you and Stephen were able to "surgery" at home.

Larsen said...

Geez, the things that kids do huh! I am sure that will happen to us sooner than later, but so far so good.

What a little mess that had to be....I was thinking for sure she had torn the one kleenex into hundreds of little pieces.

Larsen said...

Geez, the things that kids do huh! I am sure that will happen to us sooner than later, but so far so good.

What a little mess that had to be....I was thinking for sure she had torn the one kleenex into hundreds of little pieces.

Kim Dewey said...

That's too funny! And of course it happened on Stephen's watch --- it always seems to work that way.

Becky said...

Oh man!! She's heading down the same path as Garrett. Luckily you were able to dislodge the wads yourself.

Danielle said...

Oh aren't 2-yr-olds entertaining? I swear they spend half their waking lives trying to kill themselves.

Alyssa said...

Too hilarious!