Sunday, November 1, 2009

Two weekends part deux- trick or treat, smell my . . .

What a week! Wednesday night our friends had a great party where the kids did tricks for their treats, the parents had to get a donut off a string as a team (the 4 yr olds cheered us wildly) and we ate pumpkin soup, deviled egg "eyeballs" and dirt cups with worms coming out of them.

Friday night was the Magnolia Village trick or treat where the shop owners hand out candy. It's a wonderful Halloween costume parade, we had such fun- especially when we met up with friends the Goffs and saw Butikofers, Fischers, Thorns and others. Our church is located on the main street, so we had our own booth complete with photo op and bean bag toss.

Odessa wanted to be the Fairy Godmother. They don't make a child size cape- only adult costumes!

Ada: What do I do now mom?

Odessa using the collar to help move things along

Photo op turned into a moment to check out the goods- check out 18 month Jonah in the right hand corner! So cute.
Odessa is still talking about the green monster she was brave enough to stand next to. He was in front of the China store (as in porcelain). The store owners had some of the best costumes. (thanks for the pic Corey)

Halloween night Dad wanted to take the girls to a few houses, but Ada was done being a puppie. Fortunately I had borrowed a few dress up dresses from Mary. You can tell from her face she is DELIGHTED to be a princess (complete with sparkly shoes).


Yes, I was a witch again this year- Elphaba for the party with green face, but next year I will plan earlier and do something else! Stephen got pretty creative making knickers for his Beast costume. We need a navy cape now. (Odessa took this photo).


We walked up to one of the nicest parts of Magnolia to check out a Haunted Alley that people come from all over Seattle to experience (if only I had a picture of the beast pushing the double jogger! Now that was hilarious). Some neighbors put it on each year and if you make it through, you get a whole candy bar. The place was jammed with kids and the conversations on the sidewalk went like this: "are you going, I'm not going, Stephanie's going, can you believe that?" "Well, we'll just take the kids up there and if they don't want to go, we'll see. . . . " Apparently it's pretty scary!

This house was a few blocks down and the last place we trick or treated. I took a picture because it's so beautiful although the photo doesn't do it justice.

Going to the pumpkin patch enables you to get odd shaped pumpkins, not like the ones in the store! Stephen took our butternut squash shaped pumpkin and turned it into Siamese twins, one sad and one happy- you should have seen the shadows on the wall it made! Odessa drew instructions for the pumpkin on the left.
"See my pumpkin, sitting on a post.
Trying hard to scare me, playing it's a ghost!
But I'm not afraid, and I won't run,
'Cause it's Halloween and I'll have fun! BOO!"

(my kids LOVE this song- thanks Mom)

Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Corey said...

You'll have to steal the photo of the Green Man off my post since it's not blurry. We had a great time trick or treating with you guys! I love that you got a shot of Odessa pulling Ada by the collar that was too funny!

bosslady said...

Sounds like a great week. I love that Odessa was the fairy godmother--too cute!

Paula said...

I always love your Halloween stories! We are having a Halloween do-over this week because Melena spent her first Halloween with the flu, ugh!

Beth said...

Love OD's costume--very cute. Those Hunt boys like to sew, don't they?
I love the two headed pumpkin, too.

Beth said...

I guess his creativity with the knickers didn't mean he sewed them. That's even more creative!!!!

Michelle M said...

That two-headed pumpkin is pretty cool. I wish I could go to the Haunted Alley!

Becky said...

The Fairy Godmother was the best costume ever! So cute. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

pillowgram said...

The girls are so cute. What a fun time. I am glad you enjoy Halloween so much. The fairy Godmother costume turned out really cute and then to have Ada be the princess, how cute.