Sunday, February 21, 2010

no news yet and 2 seasons in one day

I realized I said we would know by Friday about the house. She asked for an extension so she could get some bids on the work we are asking for. We should know by Tuesday.
Stephen was going to go snow camping with the Young Men in the Stake this weekend with a friend who works with the YM, but there turned out to be more leaders than youth, so Stephen and said friend stayed home. So both families went sledding instead. It was a blast. Even though I haven't squeezed into my snow suit for a couple years, I was able to magically somehow zip it up and roll around in the snow with the girls.We came home to Seattle, sunny and warm like Easter weather and Stephen got the hankering to clean up the yard. He worked on it with kitchen shears and a hand saw. Awesome. Gotta get that boy some yard tools if we are going to get that house. Odessa and I took our cameras up the street to take pictures of the house on the corner where there are crocuses popping out of the lawn everywhere, it makes it look just like a Easter egg hunt - like they scattered eggs in the lawn. So pretty.
Stephen discovered that Odessa can sound out letters and make words. She wanted to know the name of a video she was holding, so he taught her to sound out the letters T-R-A-M-P. So the first word Odessa read was Tramp- awesome Stephen. But now she is spelling M-O-M, and that is much nicer. I take pictures of their best work in case it gets lost.
(that's my belly-button, cavernous eh?)

We informally work on one word a day. Tonight she wanted to find the book Good Night Gorilla.
Me: What letter makes the sound "guhh"?
Odessa: G!
Me: Ok, what makes the sound "ouuuu"?
Stephen: This is kind of a trick question. (we both were sure she didn't know)
Odessa: hmmmm . . . . . O, O ?

Naturally, Stephen and I erupted in cheers at this point.

Me: How did you know that??
Odessa: Just using my super smart brain. (pointing to it and making that face that says "silly mom" and "I feel so smart" at the same time)

Listening to her monologue from the dining room while she searched for the book was hilarious and one of the highlights of my week.
Odessa: Guh, guh, g-o-o-d . . . . . . no! This one has a picture of a cow!

5 comments:

Beth said...

sledding . . . that is fun!

I love spring flowers, too.

Becky said...

Sledding! So fun. What a good little reader! Keeping my fingers crossed about the house!

Paula said...

Tramp - LOL! Good job on the word identification Odessa! Smart little girl you have there!!

Larsen said...

Love the smart kid, don't we! Glad you got to sled. it's pretty fun, going down. going up the hill, however. . . .

Alyssa said...

I concur - Odessa does have a super smart brain! Too cute!