Thursday, February 18, 2010

Weightier matters

I've been fretting about this house decision. I'm worried about putting too much money down and not having cash for repairs. I've been wringing my hands over the owner being "taken aback" by our list of "fix it now".
Then last night Stephen and I attended the temple. For anyone who isn't a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I encourage you to check out this website so you can read more about them. Last night, we took the place of many couples who died a long time ago and were sealed together in their names. They have the choice to accept this sealing ordinance or not. As I listened to the promises given to these people through us, I realized this whole house decision is really insignifigant in the grand scheme of things. Life is a small dot in the eternities and making a house decision is a tiny speck on that dot. So what if we don't finance the house perfectly? Does it really matter if the owner fixes one thing and not another? I know that these things do matter and we should research and take our time making these decisions, but when you have an "out of body" glance at your life from a million miles away, the weight of these things seem to lift off your shoulders and just float away.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thank you goodness for the occassional perspective moments, right? or we'd just drive ourselves nuts with the little things all the time (rather than most of the time :)). Take care!

Larsen said...

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!! We are dancing around decisions too, and feel like we need to get to the temple if we want any sense of direction! Thanks for the insight!

Chadwick and Julie said...

My how we forget to look at the big pictures most days! We're thinking about you and wishing you the best with the whole thing!

pillowgram said...

What a great perspective! What a blessing attending the temple can be.