Thursday, February 5, 2009

Confessions

I love to cook and Stephen likes taking leftovers to work, so we have a symbiotic relationship. It's also helpful that the dietitian in me says at times "are you sure you need a third serving, or would you like to take that to work tomorrow?". I realized after we got married that Stephen was often alone in taking dinner leftovers to work. This actually surprised me- several eat the same thing EVERYDAY. His co-workers quickly honed in on the fact that he always had something homemade for lunch. He started telling me about their comments at home and I confess, I started enjoying it. With each move, it has been the same. A couple of months go by and people start noticing and expressing their lunch envy. In Chicago he had several Pakistani and Indian coworkers/co-students and I was going through my Indian cooking phase and so there were often tastings to ascertain authenticity held in the lunchroom. Here in Seattle, I have made a few thin crust pizzas and coworkers asked Stephen if he had gotten pizza from such-and-such pizzeria? After the Chinese meal Saturday, he took stir fry, fried rice and egg rolls for lunch. A coworker saw his plate and said "Oh, it's so nice to see you get take out sometimes too" and proceeded to go into a discourse about how hard it is sometimes to know what to make for dinner at 5:30. Stephen didn't have the heart to say "Actually, Tara made this too" so he just kept his mouth shut. He confessed later that the omission of truth started spinning a web of lies as she asked him what he did that weekend and he had to make a conscious effort not to tell her about our Chinese dinner with friends. I told him it serves him right, letting her think my egg rolls were take-out- hee hee!

6 comments:

Beth said...

So funny. I can see the look on his face when she asked what he did on the weekend. A great story!

(And great egg rolls--I've had them!)

Anonymous said...

Tara, you make me laugh. Thanks for doing such a good job feeding Stephen. He's a lucky guy! Nancy

The Marshall Family said...

You are a wonderful cook! I make Mike take leftovers too, but he never comes home to say that people are raving over them, hmmmmmmm. :)

bosslady said...

Lucky you! You know I have actual fantasies of Brian taking my leftovers to work and people commenting how lucky he is. Sigh.

Kim Dewey said...

The same thing happens to DJ. He always takes leftovers and his coworkers are always jealous. One of his co-workers has him pegged as a health nut (like her) because of it. She always talks to him about articles and recipes and stuff so now he fancies himself a real health-nut connoisseur. The only difference in your story is that DJ usually made the dinner in the first place; I don't get any credit.

Tara H said...

Maria- this is the only way Stephen compliments me on my dinner. That, and taking seconds or saying "you can make this again". He's just not the type to give out compliments, so he has to bring them home second hand. Maybe Mike just doesn't bring the compliments home! : )
Mitzi- you would have Brian's co-workers following him home every night from work if he showed them what you make for dinner. You are a way better cook than me and someday your kids will sing your praises.
Kim- lucky you! I am not good at "letting" Stephen cook- I just like to do it too much myself. I came home the other night from something and he had thawed himself some chicken and was making breaded tenders. I had a hard time eating them b/c I realized it was the first time I had seen him cook MEAT and I was scared he didn't know how. how bad is THAT??