Monday, February 2, 2009

First Attempt at Chinese New Year and a Pony Ride!

Monday, Jan 26th 2009
11:35am Run down to Valley and Roy to catch the #16 bus (we've never taken it before!)
11:43am Bus arrives before I have emptied and folded up the stroller. Everyone waits impatiently for me while I fumble with the bus fare and Odessa bolts to the back of the bus.
11:55am Odessa introduces herself to 3 complete strangers who look to have varying degrees mental ability and economic status "hi, I'm Odessa Lou! I have a pound puppy at home."
12:06pm I buy our Ferry tickets to Bainbridge
12:50pm Our friend Corey picks us up at the Bainbridge ferry terminal.
1:10pm Put Ada down for a nap at Corey's parent's house
1:33pm Corey, the horsewoman, and her son Hyrum take Odessa and I out to the horse pasture to meet Ben, her big horse and Jenna, the cute little pony.
1:47pm Hyrum and Odessa brush Jenna
2:23pm Odessa takes her turn riding Jenna around the woods surrounding the house (beautiful!)
4:40pm After a fun day of playing with the Goff boys and admiring and riding Jenna, the girls and I catch the ferry back to Seattle.
4:55pm Ada spills the very last drink of her chocolate milk all down the front of herself.
5:30pm Odessa starts to get too tired to walk anymore. She rides on my back while I push Ada in the stroller and we pass the Mission with a lot of homeless people watching us with interest.
5:45pm We finally make it to dad's office!
6:00pm The lights go out in Stephen's office building- a forced "Go home!" signal, a few hidden people emerge from cubicles like bears being roused from their caves.
6:15pm I'm embarrassed to meet Stephen's boss (tucked back in a well-lit corner office) towing 2 very noisy toddlers on each hand.
7:00pm We meet the Bores at the China Gate, an editorial pick for best Chinese food in Chinatown.
7:15pm We realize that the editor must have been paid off to pick this place!
8:00pm We try to explain to the waiter why we don't want to box up the awful house lo mein.
8:35pm Stephen, carrying Odessa, almost gets hit by a SUV turning left through our crosswalk. I scream at the car, as if my scream will stop the car from coming any faster.
8:40pm I decide we have run into every strung out person on the streets and on the bus that night. Eventually, sometime after 9pm the girls get to bed, exhausted.

4 comments:

Beth said...

What a great day for your horse lover!

How funny that they turn off the lights. Wish they did that at hospitals . . .

Anonymous said...

ohhhh my. that sounds exhausting. but fun!

Larsen said...

Bahahahahhahahahah! Bahahahahha! Bhahahahah!

That is one great day. Love days like that, huh!

Corey said...

Don't you just love how a fun-filled day of activities almost seems too overwhelming when you have kids. That was certainly an adventurous day for you guys! Thanks for coming over and riding Jena. Hyrum keeps asking when Odessa is coming to ride again. You guys are welcome anytime! For sure you'll have to come over in May since I'll be living at my parents house for 2 straight weeks while they go to SC to visit my brother and their new baby. It's going to be lonely over there especially since Jeff won't be able to come much since he has to work nights.